What's new
What's new

Machine Shop Pictures from Nordberg, Milwaukee Plant.

cash

Titanium
My wife's uncle worked at Nordberg. He started there in the late 70's. A couple weeks ago we were talking about some of the building and what were in them as I am in and out of the building from time to time. He had picked up some photos that were laying around at the end when they closed in 2004. Metso had bought them out in 1999.

The picture of the Niles VTL is I assume from the 1940's from the clothing of the workers. Maybe I am totally off. I as well guess that the machine is from the late 1800's??

The engine lathe named Pond I can as well assume is a late 1800's machine. I guess that photo was taken in the 1930's?? Was Pond a division of Niles? I have to assume so as the VTL has Pond labeled on the rail.

Here is the real kicker, when Nordberg/Metso closed in 2004 they were still using these machines in production! This was hard to believe. He told me that on the VTL they had broke the cross rail in half and had it repaired somehow. Pretty crazy.

I wish I had gone thru the shop when they had the auction to see these old machines. Her Uncle always told me they had old machines but I never assumed that is what he meant.

Attachments

• Niles VTL.jpg
    Niles VTL.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,424
  • Nordberg .jpg
    Nordberg .jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,838
It's refreshing to see that even 80 years ago some clipboard warrior was hanging "safety first" signs everywhere.

I love the natural light in those buildings. I bet it was mighty cold in there in winter.

Niles Bement Pond was an early conglomerate. They bought out entire companies - like Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool - 1n 1901

Corsicana TX powerplant demolished about 20 years ago had SIX enormous Nordberg engines

My wife's uncle worked at Nordberg. He started there in the late 70's. A couple weeks ago we were talking about some of the building and what were in them as I am in and out of the building from time to time. He had picked up some photos that were laying around at the end when they closed in 2004. Metso had bought them out in 1999.

The picture of the Niles VTL is I assume from the 1940's from the clothing of the workers. Maybe I am totally off. I as well guess that the machine is from the late 1800's??

The engine lathe named Pond I can as well assume is a late 1800's machine. I guess that photo was taken in the 1930's?? Was Pond a division of Niles? I have to assume so as the VTL has Pond labeled on the rail.

Here is the real kicker, when Nordberg/Metso closed in 2004 they were still using these machines in production! This was hard to believe. He told me that on the VTL they had broke the cross rail in half and had it repaired somehow. Pretty crazy.

I wish I had gone thru the shop when they had the auction to see these old machines. Her Uncle always told me they had old machines but I never assumed that is what he meant.

I've walked through the building afew times.

It's still impressive without the machines, not as impressive as it was back when there were machines though.

If you ever get a chance to take a walk through Regenco (they are in the old Allis Chalmers main erecting hall) you'd be amazed at the work they do on those old clapped out machines.

300 ton overhead crane, that has a another crane (30 ton) below it, just to put the chains/dring on the main hook.

Think there's 80' below the hook, not including the pit.

Anybody notice that tailstock hanging off the end of the ways with a screw jack supporting it?

On edit: somebody types faster...

I've walked through the building afew times.

It's still impressive without the machines, not as impressive as it was back when there were machines though.

If you ever get a chance to take a walk through Regenco (they are in the old Allis Chalmers main erecting hall) you'd be amazed at the work they do on those old clapped out machines.

300 ton overhead crane, that has a another crane (30 ton) below it, just to put the chains/dring on the main hook.

Think there's 80' below the hook, not including the pit.

There is a gal who posts some pictures of the old A/C main hall, then Siemens, then Toshiba and now Regenco. They are pretty impressive.

It was either in this bay or another where they had maybe 2 300T cranes, my grandpa was a welder there for 30 years and he said they would use these 2 cranes to flip parts. Wow. He as well told stories of all the guys killed from accidents in the shop.

Niles Bement Pond was an early conglomerate. They bought out entire companies - like Pratt & Whitney Machine Tool - 1n 1901

Corsicana TX powerplant demolished about 20 years ago had SIX enormous Nordberg engines

Yes, until the late 70's they built Engines, I have a couple pics, I will post some of the engines then the rock crushers.

My wife's Dad remembers on an Alaska cruise being in a mine or something and he remembers seeing a Nordberg engine.

My 1941 south bend heavy ten is from the old allis chalmers plant. It was a old spare machine they never ran.
I also know of a SB shaper from the plant that was a spare, i just have no room for it, both have original paint and scrapping

A large machine/fab shop around these parts closed about five years ago. They had a 36ish ft Niles VTL that presold before the auction, as well as some 1000ton and 1500ton custom presses that they built in house. Alao had a huge Niles lathe, I think 100" by about 50ft. Crazy, crazy huge stuff, all the fab and machining done for the custom equipment was done on the shop floor. A few huge pipe/angle rolls that they made, etc. Lutz Fabrication.

It's refreshing to see that even 80 years ago some clipboard warrior was hanging "safety first" signs everywhere.

I love the natural light in those buildings. I bet it was mighty cold in there in winter.
Never mind Ewsley, In most big plants One got variety, As well as freezing in the winter the guys would boil in the summer,I am basing my observations on the stories of some of the old guys I worked beside years back, They had worked in the "Glass House" in Govan in Glasgow, Better known as Clyde Foundry, owned by Harland & wolffe , It was a mass of glass & they would recall to me of being chilled to the marrow in winter, & the boiling conditions in summer. Sounded a bundle of fun.

Just got to love a lathe you can ride on :D

Hello Swatkins
100%!!!
I couldn't agree with you more.:D I'm always in awe when I see pics or videos of those monster machines.:eek: Maybe someday I'm going to get me 1 of those lathes. Not sure what I'd do with it:scratchchin:,... but it'd sure look impressive sitting in my shop. Well,... part way in my shop & part way sticking out the hole in the wall.;)

Cash,

Thanks for the photos and story. Regarding the age of the lathe, it just so happens Jim Christie recently posted a link to a 1903 Niles-Bement-Pond catalogue. I have had a quick look at the lathes and I think the Nordberg Pond must be later than 1903. It looks to have an enclosed geared headstock. In the 1903 catalogue there are a few motor driven lathes with geared heads, but none are enclosed. The Pond lathes start at page 97. I see some of the Niles lathes have the same tailstock feature where the hand wheel is placed for easy access.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ompany-machine-tools-catalogue-1903-a-336115/

Hello Swatkins
100%!!!
I couldn't agree with you more.:D I'm always in awe when I see pics or videos of those monster machines.:eek: Maybe someday I'm going to get me 1 of those lathes. Not sure what I'd do with it:scratchchin:,... but it'd sure look impressive sitting in my shop. Well,... part way in my shop & part way sticking out the hole in the wall.;)

I have a cure for that...

Every time you have the urge take one of those machines to your shop just think of the cost of the material that those big machines should use.

After all it would look kinda silly for you to be using a 30" swing, 15' bed lathe to whittle down a 3" piece of stock 3 foot long... All your friends would laugh at you behind your back!

I see the tail stock is hanging off the end. Got the length maxed out.

Bill

I love it, ask any old school shop boss, and he'll tell you, there's nothing he likes to see more, than a machine both loaded to, and working to it's very limit, ....it brings warm fuzzy feeling in their wallets :D

Nordberg survived into the nuclear era, and a few of their diesel engines were supplied as emergency/black start power to nuke powerplants. Nordberg began building diesel engines in the 'teens. I believe they used a Swedish design under license from a firm called "Carels". Marquette, MI, had a diesel power plant in their Board of Light & Power system. It had two 1920's Nordberg diesels, looking like open-frame marine steam engines. These were scrapped in the 1980's to make way for some gas turbine units. A buddy got me the nameplate off one of the engines, and the nickel-plated pressure gauges from the "blast air" compressor.

In that same plant there were some 1950's Nordbergs, which may still be there. Nordberg was quite a builder of diesel engines for powerplants and marine use. In Boston, MA, Nordberg furnished radial "dual fuel" engines (oil diesel and natural gas) to drive sewage lift pumps- replacing some radial Corliss steam engine drives. Other Nordberg radial diesel engines went into service driving generators in aluminum refining plants. Nordberg, in the 1960's was offering their diesels with what amounted to a variable valve timing system- known as their "Supair Thermal" engine control. This was used on stationary powerplant diesels and relied on a bunch of mechanical sensors and servomechanisms to accomplish the variable valve timing in response to load.

Bruno Nordberg was a prolific designer of engines, and while he did not live to see his firm get heavily into diesels, he left quite a legacy. Nordberg built what was one of the largest mine hoists in the world- the Quincy Mine Hoist. This is a four-cylinder Corliss driven hoist, preserved in situ at the old Quincy copper mine in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Nordberg did quite a bit of business in building mine hoists as well as Corliss engines.

Nordberg built a variety of stationary steam engines, starting with Corliss engines. Later on, they built poppet valve engines with side-shaft drive for the valve gear. This looked like a Lenz design. Quite a few of the poppet valve stationary engines went into service in in-plant generating applications. A "pair" of Nordberg steam engines survive in service on the sternwheel steamboat "Natchez" running out of New Orleans. These engines (port and starboard) came off a US Army Engineer Corps dredge, I believe. They may have been the only engines Nordberg built for a sternwheel vessel. Nordberg stuck to stationary steam engine applications until WWII.

After WWII, Nordberg was experimenting (possibly with Doble, of the steam car fame) to develop a steam powered inner-city transit bus. One of the things they had was a separate auxiliary engine to run a generator, and that little engine was supposed to have been a nice piece of work in its own right. That project seems to have been erased from any books or records, just a few sentences about it.

I know Nordberg also built some smaller diesels for applications like running crushers or smaller sawmills, and after WWII, got into marine engines for pleasure boats. I imagine that when WWII ended, Nordberg suddenly had a lot of factory capacity and looked for something else to utilize it.

During WWII, Nordberg built Unaflow marine steam engines under license from Skinner for smaller aircraft carriers and other naval vessels. What Nordberg seemed to build the most of was rock crushers. These were all over the place, in quarry pit operations, cement mills, and anyplace a gyratory type of rock crusher could be used. Of all of Nordberg's products, I think the rock crushers were the only thing to survive, with the remnants of Nordberg going to form a company called "Rexnord".

I had always wondered what Nordberg's shops were like, and these photos answered some of my questions. Nordberg must have had square miles of shop space to build what they did. I do not know what killed Nordberg as a company. It seemed like the two giants in this sort of manufacturing were Allis-Chalmers and Nordberg, both in Milwaukee. Both are history as companies. Milwaukee, in its heydays, must have been quite a town. I was in Milwaukee to inspect a huge LeBlond lathe for sale off the floor of the old Louis-Allis motor plant in Cudahy. We bought that lathe, and at the time, the Louis-Allis plant was closed but intact- like the people would be able to come in and go right back to work. Across the street was the Filer and Stowell Company- still in business. They built quite a few very fine 4-valve non releasing steam engines, Corliss engines, sawmill machinery, and more. Also in Milwaukee was the Vilter company- builders of Corliss engines to drive their Ammonia refrigeration pumps, a big name in the brewing industry. Kearny & Trecker was in Milwaukee, and I am sure there were other machine tool builders. Most people thing of Milwaukee in terms of either the home of Harley Davidson, or for breweries. Most of the old-line breweries in Milwaukee have closed, and H-D has shifted most of its manufacturing to other locations, maintaining a headquarters and engineering center in Milwaukee. P & H was known the world over, and they are now part of some bigger conglomerate. Whether they are still in Milwaukee is something I do not know. It's hard to imagine the effect that the closure of firms like Nordberg and A-C must have had on Milwaukee. I am sure there must be at least a score of big shops that pulled out of Milwaukee aside from these two. Now, it's a matter of looking at photos to see what was there. Aside from seeing a few Nordberg diesels, and having a nameplate and gauges from them on the wall, I can't help but wonder what the plant was like when I glance at the nameplate and gauges. Thanks for posting the photos.

I read this, too, about Nordberg at Wikipedia: "In 1944, (Nordberg) designed and built the largest diesel engine that has ever been built in the United States. It was built for a Victory ship built for the United States Maritime Commission."

I don't know why, but Milwaukee in particular has always captured my imagination. I think the old industrial spirit of the place might be the main reason, same as Philly- I went there and was kind of overwhelmed after looking around the industrial ruins. It drives me a little crazy, the waste of it all and the hardness of change.

I dug around and found a few more Nordberg photos... a few have been posted here before.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nordberg 11-cylinder radial engines at Alcoa
nordberg-11-cylinder-radial-engines-alcoa.jpg

31346573-mjs_p_h_standard_type__an__hoist_in_machine_shop.jpg

31346561-mjs_p_h_20-ton_traveling_crane_in_machine_shop.jpg

Worker stands on a Nordberg machine on the floor of what is likely a plant owned by Republic Iron & Steel Co.
0303000628-l.jpg

Back