What's new
What's new

Machine shop selling out near Madison Wi

MCritchley

Stainless
There is very interesting shop that is winding down in Wisconsin. The shop is owned by a 91 year old gentleman that has decided to start selling off his equipment. Lots of bigger equipment, see the craigslist add. He was in business for quite some time but has been inactive for a few years. The owner would like to keep most of the tooling with the machine it was used on. Cool shop with a lot of history attached, the owner is sharp and knows exactly what he has. Most of the machines have been rebuilt by him and his crew during the slow times, so I would say everything is in good shape. Worth a visit if your close, most of the small easy to haul equipment is sold.
A few cool things such as a line shaft P&W jig borer, 24" capacity power hack saw, 2 planers a half dozen shapers, 3 VTL's, and and several Gisholts that never left Madison.
Reach out to the contact in the add. I am simply posting as a favor to the owner.

Machine shop sale - tools - by owner - sale

I wish they posted more pictures... I wonder what for steam engines he has?

"reach out to the contact in the ad". If you dare...

I do not have the space for a planer.
I do not have the space.....

With no prices, the seller could be "pie-in-the-sky" on pricing....:skep:
But hey "the owner is sharp and knows exactly what he has."

I'm going to be heading up that way in a couple of weeks. If I stop to have a look and point at a machine and ask "How much" will the owner put a price on it?

I'm going to beheading up that way in a couple of weeks. If I stop to have a look and point at a machine and ask "How much" will the owner put a price on it?

You could get into a lot of trouble is you start "beheading" in a couple of weeks! Look what happened to ISIS.:eek:

Stuart

Yes it Peter Burno's collection.

He has a price in mind for everything. I've bought a few items and considered the prices fair.

SIP6A - let me know if you run up this way, I'll buy you lunch if you have the time.

Yes it Peter Burno's collection.

He has a price in mind for everything. I've bought a few items and considered the prices fair.

SIP6A - let me know if you run up this way, I'll buy you lunch if you have the time.

Thanks! I'll get in touch when it gets closer to my getting on the road.

For the love of god Thermite- if you have no intention of buying a planer please refrain from posting on this thread. Your post is not helping sell machine tools.

Thermite ain't gonna be buying it, leaves the market open. If he wanted it, it'd be gone by now. You could be thankful the rest of us poor bastids still have a chance at it. Your choice.

And he did remind me of my own reality, so he gets kudos....

Last edited:
I see there's a #2 Kempsmith horizontal mill in the list. I have a #1 universal and love it. If anyone is on the lookout for a horizontal, i would recommend giving it a look.

Peter Burno Machine Shop Sale

Hello,
I am assisting with this sale and can help with photos and pricing on what is available. Aside from the machines and hardware, etc., we are also looking to sell 100 barrels of different lubricants and oils -spindle oils, machine oils of different weights. I am looking for suggestions on where to sell these lubricants, please. And where can I best list here (Practical Machinist site) the machines that are available? Thank you for your suggestions and interests. Here is the updated Craigslist ad: Machine Shop Sale - perfect for pickers and artists and makers -...

Here is a list of some of the machines with prices. All of these machines are in good or better-than-good condition and have been well-maintained. Most under power and push button ready. Most if not all include tooling:
18" Springfield Engine Lathe with tooling and gantry and two chucks. - $4,500
Gisholt #5 ram-type turret lathe with 12" 3-jaw chuck. Tooling. - $5k
Gisholt 2L saddle-type turret lathe with fixed center turret with 18" 3-jaw chuck. Tooling. - $5k
Gisholt 3L saddle-type turret lathe with cross feeding turret. Was slightly modified to make artillery shells. 18" 3-jaw chuck. Tooling. - $5k
Jones and Lamson No. 8A fixed center turret lathe 16" chuck with bar feed and tooling - $4,500
Boye and Emmes Engine Lathe 96" (?) between centers 18" 3-jaw chuck with taper attachment and tooling - $6,500
24" LeBlond Engine Lathe. 48" between centers. With taper attachment and tool holders, including lantern-style tool post holder. Tooling. - $5,500
12" American Pacemaker Engine Lathe. 3' between centers. - $7,500
2-spindle Barnes and Rockford drill press $2k
4-spindle Avey drill press with #3 Morse taper $2,500
Kempsmith Maximiller No. 2 Horizontal Mill $4,500
Landis Cylindrical Grinder. 43" between centers. With power converter and reliance variable speed drive. - $2k
10"x36" Norton Surface Grinder with magnetic chuck - $2k
36"x21" Rockford Openside Planer - $3,500
Peerless Hacksaw - $1,500
King Vertical Boring Mill High Column with 52" table. 2-30 HP. - $75k
Pratt and Whitney Jig Borer - $1,500
American Radial Arm Drill Press 15" column x 4' arm. - $4,500
30" American Engine Lathe with taper attachment. 12' between centers - $15k
Springfield Engine Lathe 3' between centers with two chucks and tooling - $6k
60 ton General Manufacturing Press with tooling for straightening shafts. Repaired foot. - $2,500

And more... Peter Burno has kept these machines in wonderful working order. He is semi-retiring and selling everything. This month is his 92nd birthday.

Hello, Phil. I'd be more than happy to set you up with photos or a shop tour so that you can see the quality and condition of these machines. And, of course, there is always some wiggle room. Sort of depends on your attitude and industry. All the best. :)

I think insane is putting it politely. Out by an order of magnitude for some of the machines. An auction I was at this week struggled to move a couple of well tooled turret lathes (12-14" swing?) for $500 each. I don't think there's enough wriggle room in your prices to avoid you sitting on these until a scrapman comes and picks up the lot.

Back