What's new
What's new

Machine Tool Collection

1943Monarch

Plastic
I’m starting to collect iconic and/or unique machine tools. So far it includes a Southbend 9C, Gordon U3 Pantograph, Logan ES8 Shaper, Monarch 10EE Lathe, and a Moore B18 Jig Borer. Any suggestions for my next restoration?

Attachments

• 6A0D443A-27E1-4D75-BD09-6D94AC57D0BF.jpg
    6A0D443A-27E1-4D75-BD09-6D94AC57D0BF.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 53852689-58C4-4847-B4AD-323E52FD324A.jpg
    53852689-58C4-4847-B4AD-323E52FD324A.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 245
A mill is conspicuously missing. Go for a 40-taper turret mill or a Euro mill.

Deckel FP2.

Also depends on whether 'restoration' is a new paint job or a re-scrape to as close to factory original accuracy as humanly possible. I don't regard new paint as restoration.

PDW

If you want something useful, a DeVlieg 2B36. If you want something unique, a Brown and Sharpe Omniversal or a K&T Autometric. If you want a reason to get rid of the shaper, a Pratt & Whitney 6" vertical shaper (slotter to many).

You’re right, Bridgeport mills are iconic, but there are are so many of them around that I couldn’t get excited about refurbishing one. It fits into the same category as the South Bend lathe. They were like the model T automobile, not terribly advanced technically, but there were so many of them sold at an attractive price, they transformed the industry.

Correct, a new paint job is not a restoration if restoration means like new. I’ve been lucky enough to buy machines that don’t show much evidence of abuse or damage. I don’t tear apart machine components to replace bearings or seals unless they’re not working properly. My goal is to have fully functioning machines that exemplify the creativity and art of manufacturing engineering. Refurbished is a better word.

I agree. The B&S Omniversal and K&T Autometric are very unique (and very interesting). They’re hard to find in good condition. I’m always looking. Patience is the key. Thanks.

The second set of pics in post 7 are still small. Are you using a cell phone to take and post pics?
Try to load pics on a real computer and post from the computer.
Machines look nice :cheers:

The second set were *.jmp files sent from a computer running Microsoft 7. I ran into the same problem with pic size on the Monarch Lathe Forum about 6 months ago. I still haven't figured out how to solve the problem.
Thanx

Suggest looking at threads that included PM member ‘Collector’. His previous shop and group of manual machines was impressive to say the least. That is, if you need inspiration of how to do a collection right.

L7

Suggest looking at threads that included PM member ‘Collector’. His previous shop and group of manual machines was impressive to say the least. That is, if you need inspiration of how to do a collection right.

L7
He had a shop that was better equipped than some large engineering companies I’ve worked at.

Regards Tyrone.

Wow, that"s a beauty. Rarer than hen's teeth though.

Yes, but they do come up for sale every now and then - just infrequently enough to make it seem like a real score to find one, but not so infrequently that you'll never find one if you're trying. I'm an Ames fan and I've never actually seen one in the flesh, but I've read that they're not really all they should have been.

That said, I sure wouldn't mind replacing my living room mill with one.

Back