What's new
What's new

Machinery's Handbook First Edition on Ebay

rtozzy

Plastic
I was looking for an older edition of Machinerys Handbook on ebay and found a listing for a first edition They are asking $2000 for this book. Is it really that rare of a book to justify the price?
Have other people sold first editions and for how much?

https://www.amazon.com/Machinerys-H...ery's+handbook&qid=1612022894&s=books&sr=1-12

The first edition has been issued as a collectors' replica for $45 currently, but it is called Volume I, indicating that it is not the complete book. The $2000 is silly, no matter what the "local experts" say.

I have an original American Machinists' Handbook 2nd edition 1914 that I bought around 1960, probably for a couple bucks. It is leather bound with gold edges. Note that American Machinist was a magazine in competition with Machinery Magazine and Machinery published their first edition the same year as American Machinist published their second edition. It is clear who came first.

Larry

DSC00554.jpg

I sold one about 15 years ago in pristine condition with a $300 reserve
Within minutes it had 2 bidders at $640
Spent a whole week in anticipation of last minute bidding war
Sold for $640

I think that, I actually have a copy of that somewhere.....

I would recommend,

A 12th edition or 13th edition is from the 1940's and are usually in decent condition.

https://www.amazon.com/Machinerys-H...ery's+handbook&qid=1612022894&s=books&sr=1-12

The first edition has been issued as a collectors' replica for $45 currently, but it is called Volume I, indicating that it is not the complete book. The $2000 is silly, no matter what the "local experts" say.

I have an original American Machinists' Handbook 2nd edition 1914 that I bought around 1960, probably for a couple bucks. It is leather bound with gold edges. Note that American Machinist was a magazine in competition with Machinery Magazine and Machinery published their first edition the same year as American Machinist published their second edition. It is clear who came first.

Larry

View attachment 312163

Everything you need to know about the "Commemorative Edition" at Machinerys Handbook 1st Edition Commemerative Reprint: anvilfire.com Book Review

Amazon does sell this at https://www.amazon.com/Machinerys-Handbook-Collectors-First-Replica/dp/0831133708 They call it variously "1st Edition" and "Volume 1." Also Industrial press/1400 pages, which IIRC is more or less a complete current MH size-wise.

I don't remember a Volume 1 description on my Commemorative Edition from Industrial Press. It is much as described at the first link above. Book, box, leatherette cover embossed in gold printing.

But it's been a while. No greasy fingerprints on that one...

Joe in NH

I was looking for an older edition of Machinerys Handbook on ebay and found a listing for a first edition They are asking $2000 for this book. Is it really that rare of a book to justify the price?
Have other people sold first editions and for how much?

In post #4 as JS recommended.....I have a 12th edition myself. Right now there's one on eeebay for $40 and free shipping. Looks in great condition and it's tabbed. Not a bad price.

The reprint of 1914 edition is still available new from Industrial Press for $50. This copy if real is worth what ever someone wants to pay. Somewhere someone has a complete collection and is missing this one. It doesn't have to make sense to you. I happen to have a copy of the reprint but I prefer a more usable copy from the 1950s.

I think that, I actually have a copy of that somewhere.....

I would recommend,

A 12th edition or 13th edition is from the 1940's and are usually in decent condition.

I cant remember which edition it was specifically off the top of my mind, but I bought a 1943 Machinery’s Handbook from the bay.

Got it in hand and low and behold it had the original owners name and town written in it and the typical notes one writes in them through the years.

I decided to google the guy and found his obituary within seconds.

He started an apprenticeship at Caterpillar way back when and and ended up retiring in the early 2000s, if I remember correcty. He ended up being the Vice President of the company by the time he retired.

I got a 40's vintage Machinery's from a flea market, from his name I found the obit. He worked for Ingersol, and I found a couple old photos he was using as bookmarks. Found his widow and mailed her the pics. Apparently the son was doing some cleaning and may have gone too far... but at least the old guy's handbook is on a shelf in a shop of sorts and not mouldering unused.

If you want to read the 1st edition of Machinery's Handbook, then $2000 is ludicrous because, as already noted, there is a recent reprint of the 1st edition, available new for less than $50.

If you want to collect the 1st edition of Machinery's Handbook, then the acceptable price is all in your mind. This is not like stamp collecting or coin collecting, where there is an established market with generally accepted prices. The number of people who accumulate machinist and engineering handbooks is probably fairly large (1000's or 10,000's worldwide), but the number of people who collect them is probably very small (10's worldwide). Accumulators will not pay $2000 for a handbook. Full stop. End of story. A collector might, depending on how they personally value that addition to their collection.

Are you that person? No? Then it's not worth $2000 to you.

I was given a fifth edition Machinery's Handbook twenty two years ago. It belong to the guys grand dad who gave me the book. His grand dad was a machinists in the early 1900's. I offered to buy it from him, he refused to take my money. Still have it, too. It's not in that great of shape but still has all of it's pages. Have several others including my first one bought in 1976, twentieth edition. Have a electronic copy also. I hardly reference them much anymore in the line of work I do now. When I do need it, it becomes handy. Especially with trying to convert measurements from metric/SI units to English units.

Back