Machining techniques in a 1941 Horizontal Boring Machine
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machining techniques in a 1941 Horizontal Boring Machine

Hi to all, I been working for a while in a 1941 Universal (Horizontal) Boring Machine Co., I got to know the machine a bit know, had the chance to do a couple of repairs.

I'll like to share the limited knowledge that I have of the gear box, both for the speeds and the feeds, to who ever got stuck and can't repair or is afraid to open the gear box, I know one can get overwhelm or intimidated by all the gears and levers.

On the other hand I'll like to ask questions about the stuff that I been dealing with but I haven't got the chance to repair.

If there's another forum that I can post this to help some other old school machinist like me let me know, Thanks in advance!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    I have a 1927 Universal HBM. At some point in the past, they replaced one of the gears in the rapid traverse gear train with a blank, my guess is to suppress vibration. At some point in the future, i plan to disassemble the gearbox and make a new gear. I would appreciate any information you have on how to remove the head and anything else you think may be relevant. Please post some pics of your machine as i and i'm sure others would like to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Temo, you might find this info on posting photos on the forum useful

Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

have fun

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    Hi to all, I been working for a while in a 1941 Universal (Horizontal) Boring Machine Co., I got to know the machine a bit know, had the chance to do a couple of repairs.

I'll like to share the limited knowledge that I have of the gear box, both for the speeds and the feeds, to who ever got stuck and can't repair or is afraid to open the gear box, I know one can get overwhelm or intimidated by all the gears and levers.

On the other hand I'll like to ask questions about the stuff that I been dealing with but I haven't got the chance to repair.

If there's another forum that I can post this to help some other old school machinist like me let me know, Thanks in advance!!
    I have a 3" universal I use most every week. I have a manual for it also. If I can be of any assistance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by McClure Machine View Post
    I have a 3" universal I use most every week. I have a manual for it also. If I can be of any assistance.
    At some point, i'm going to need to get some tooling. Where did you get yours?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of tooling? My spindle is #5 mt. I did modify with a lock screw at 15 degrees. I made a adapter that bolts to the 4 bolt outer drive housing to use 50nmtb tooling but you give up extension of the spindle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want to email me I can send you pictures of what I use for various stuff.
    Like most things depending upon what you are planning to use yours for will dictate what tooling you need
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi to all, here are a couple of pictures of the machine, to clarify, I'm a machinist, I operate this machine and have made some repairs.

hbm01.jpg

hbm02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking machine. Oldie but a goodie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tilting rt sure eats up a lot of your z travels...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is one heck of a RT. I reconize the make of that one. I have it's baby sister, a 10" RT. Ken

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see you have Portage Double Quick (PDQ) tool holder.
    Nice. I have a Giddings Lewis 25T. Welcome to the club
    of owning real size machines that do real size work.

-Doozer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by marka12161 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 1927 Universal HBM. At some point in the past, they replaced one of the gears in the rapid traverse gear train with a blank, my guess is to suppress vibration. At some point in the future, i plan to disassemble the gearbox and make a new gear. I would appreciate any information you have on how to remove the head and anything else you think may be relevant. Please post some pics of your machine as i and i'm sure others would like to see it.
    On January I made a repair of the rapid traverse, I'll check for pictures when I get home and post if I have them, it was a challenge to adjust the distance of the clutch because at one point the original assembly was change for a different one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    The tilting rt sure eats up a lot of your z travels...Phil
    Due to the nature of the work we do on this machine we don't need a lot of "Z" travel, 99% of the jobs are drilling on the side of plates 2" thick.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Temo View Post
    On January I made a repair of the rapid traverse, I'll check for pictures when I get home and post if I have them, it was a challenge to adjust the distance of the clutch because at one point the original assembly was change for a different one.
    Thanks, any info you can provide would be great. Am i correct in assuming you had to remove the head to get the gearbox cover off? My gear box cover is a shop made replacement. The original must have been broken at some point. I suspect once i get into the gear box i'm also going to have to replace a bunch of bushings as the vertical drive shafts have quite a bit of play in them. I would be very interested in any information you can provide regarding the process for removing the head.

Mark