What's new
What's new

Machinist Box

curiosity

Plastic
Cleaning out the garage and getting rid of some stuff and came across this old box. Was informed by my boyfriend that it was a machinist box that had been his fathers. I never heard of one, but thought it was very interesting/unique. I've been trying to search and get a little info on it, but can't seem to find anything like this. The inside lining is burgundy in color, I see no markings anywhere on the box except for the main lock on the top of the box that is stamped Corbin. There is an additional lock on one of the small drawers and I actually found the key for it in the box (looks like an small old skeleton key. I've included some pictures hopefully someone can help me identify the maker/age.

Attachments

• box 4.jpg
    box 4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 306
  • box 2.jpg
    box 2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 281
  • box 3.jpg
    box 3.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 273
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 267
You going to have to get us better pictures than these. It's not a Gerstner chest and could be one of many makers that were out there in years past. Some where in this antique section is a link to a members webpage on identifying different tool chest that are out there. If I can find it or one of out other members find it before me will post it. WElcome to the forum. Ken

Gerstner is a major maker of that type of box, many other old time companies also made them. Many threads on here talking about ID on old boxes. It looks to be in good shape and may be somewhat valuable.

I looked at gerstners site a few months ago a similar box, new, was about $1500.

I lightened up your pictures so I could see more detail. Not so good news. I suspect that your chest was home-made. Hard to tell, but I doubt it was manufactured by any of those listed in ‘The’ Guide. It appears that it has been through some very hard use over the years.
It may be missing the front panel and one drawer. It had lid latches, but they’ve been removed. It doesn’t appear to ever have had metal outside corner guards on the lid. The wooden drawer pull handles look to be home-made. Somebody added the metal corner braces to the lid and the cylinder lock to one drawer.
Hard to say if it has any value, if so probably less than $100. Good luck……..toolboxted
'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests, pre-1960

Might be worth removing all the drawers and seeing if anything is written on the underside. The felt is gone out of the top till, and no mirror. I might almost be tempted to say Scherr but it's only a guess.

Drawer measurement

The long drawers measure 15x7 . I've taken some better pictures; hopefully will help. Still unable to find any makers marks, checked under all drawers, inside box, everywhere. If it's home made not a problem. Like I said it's been sitting in the garage. I just know it was my boyfriends father and he died he died at 87, 14 years ago. I'm just trying to get a little history on it.

Thanks

Attachments

• Box 7.jpg
    Box 7.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 82
  • box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 85
  • box6.jpg
    box6.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 80
I also think this is a homemade box. I've seen lots of this style over the years.
Most of the patternmakers that I have worked with built their own boxes based on this design.
This is probably not a patternmakers box though, as it is not large enough for shrink rules.
Seems a little rough in construction, though it is still a pretty cool old tool box.

When I started my apprenticeship in 1966 in a big machine shop at a large aluminum plant, one of the old timers had a box that looked similar to a Gerstner but not quite the quality. I asked him about it and he told me that during WWII, there was a shortage of machinist equipment. He decided to make one for himself. He copied a buddies Gerstner. It was a very usable box being made of white oak. It served him well as long as he worked in a shop. Maybe the box shown here has a similar history. The original owner would be the right age for something like this to be the answer to the mystery.
JH

Back