magnificent anachronism---the sensitive research scama inscriber --1927
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default magnificent anachronism---the sensitive research scama inscriber --1927

local collector/vendor kindly previewed an exotic --Sensitive Research Instrument Corporation radial inscriber used to create legend on radial analog dial insert of metrology instruments

when the corporation was formed the stated goal was production of field instruments providing 10 times greater sensitivity than competitive products

each instrument required unique dial/scale incorporating reflective needle reference mirror strip

and lettering/scribing had to be flawless--so the firm devised the SCAMA--
    radial inscriber featuring jewelled platten quadrant
    instrument base is finest linen phenolic
    the user manual emphasizes operator skill and a substantial learning curve

collector JL is offering the unit for sale--if interested--please relay pm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oiu.jpg   poiopi.jpg   101_1123.jpg   101_1124.jpg   000_0044.jpg  

Last edited by JHOLLAND1; 06-26-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2---------------------------
    vintage draftsman instruments used---dip pens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_1126.jpg   101_1125.jpg   101_1127.jpg   101_1128.jpg   101_1130.jpg  

3. Likes cutting oil Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3-------------------------------------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_1132.jpg   101_1131.jpg   101_1133.jpg   101_1137.jpg   ser.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4------------------------------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sensitive.1.jpg   sensitive.2.jpg   sensitive.4.jpg   sensitive.6.jpg   sxr.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this very interesting as I have, in my little "museum" of interesting electronic, mechanical and optical curiosities, a Singer/ Sensitive Research DC millivoltmeter;

The meter dial;

I wonder how many of these SCAMA machines existed; if only one, then this dial would have been done on that machine.

The label inside the case lid is a very nice presentation; it indicates that the meter was made in 1968.

The voltmeter is ex-US Navy; it must have been in use until well into the digital era if the calibration sticker is any guide;

7. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Peter S, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The picture of the exquisite meter face from the DC ammeter breaks the increments to .02 units by usage of a slant line. Was the slant line something that was done on the machine, or was it a hand add off line?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    The picture of the exquisite meter face from the DC ammeter breaks the increments to .02 units by usage of a slant line. Was the slant line something that was done on the machine, or was it a hand add off line?
    Those slant lines are called transversals. They were used by various of the accurate meter manufacturers. I have several Sensitive Research meters as well as others. I used Sensitive Research meters in the pre digital age. One that was a very useful meter was called Universal Polyranger, effectively a Simpson 260 without ohms built like a lab meter. The only problem was that they used a thermocouple for AC voltages and they must have run it at the edge of safe operation. Everyone who used it eventually got a little over voltage and burned it out. I have a later model Polyranger that has the thermocouple mounted in the underside so it can be changed without opening the case.

One factoid from that time- I was light blond then with a crew cut. I used it to read mirror scales by positioning my hair to be reflected in the mirror for a light background.

Bill

10. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sensitive Research Instrument Corp was acquired by division of Singer Sewing Machine Co I believe in late 30's. Singer is recognized as the first global conglomerate corp and a major metrology-aerospace component manufacturer

Singer transferred ownership of Sensitive to Electrical Instrument Service Inc
    in late 50's

the unit displayed here was surplussed from local naval shipyard--the US Gov and DOD are largest global user of vintage analog instruments

appears to me that the SCAMA inscriber never was placed into service--not a surprise considering the demand for perfection in every motion required in creation of scientific dial scale
    low wattage lasers and cnc engravers sent this device to the historical instrument dustbin with no residual sentiment for its return

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really neat! I have several Sensitive Research instruments and some others with hand drawn scales.

13. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post