What's new
What's new

Maine Craigslist Antique Milling Machine (Actually small planer)

Joe in NH

Diamond
Antique milling machine

00g0g_izl1xKSchr1_600x450.jpg

This one of those you see and you go around a few times in your mind evaluating "what's important" in one's life.

Always I wanted a belt driven shop. MOst of my collecting, at least in the machine shop area has been to this end. Except for setting the shop up and making it work (a challenge all by itself) I'm almost there.

This would be a "bonus." A nice looking "small" planer at a good price - and important to me - within reasonable striking distance. Hard to tell the actual size or even if it is the smaller "crank" planer or simply a larger "benchtop" bull gear machine.

But alas. For me. The space. Not enough space and who wants to be a caretaker to a machine destined to be "under the stairs" or some other out of the way place.

Plus leaving yet another "old machine tool" for the kids to deal with after I'm gone? They have enough challenges already attempting to eek out an existence in these here United States.

And I have a planer of not large but "reasonable" size for a re-creation 19th century shop. And for me it represents all I could possibly want in a planer.

So I pass - regretfully - but not without some thought.

Good luck to whomever gets it - and don't forget to indulge us in additional pictures...

Joe in NH

I would have asked if you were not going to buy it maybe I could, but I've turned over a new leaf.

This one of those you see and you go around a few times in your mind evaluating "what's important" in one's life.

No more machines to restore beyond what sits in Que.

A rich deep purple color on that juicy plum! I wouldn't even have opened the listing since it says mill. I do hope someone gets it and does it proud.

Nice little piece. I may be interested if no one else snags it but shipping might be costly. Hard to gauge the size and weight from a picture. Looks like it may be an A. J. Wilkinison planer.

Last edited:
Nice little piece. I may be interested if no one else snags it but shipping might be costly. Hard to gauge the size and weight from a picture. Looks like it may be an A. J. Wilkinison planer.

Looks just like the A. J. Wilkinson planer on eBay this Summer. Seller said the table measures 27" x 10-1/4", and the machine is 36" overall and stands 26" tall. Weighs maybe 200-300 pounds. Here are those photos to document an A. J. Wilkinson planer.

Irby

A. J. Wilkinison planer 1.jpgA. J. Wilkinison planer 2.jpgA. J. Wilkinison planer 6.jpgA. J. Wilkinison planer5.jpgA. J. Wilkinison planer 4.jpg

Well I am interested in this planer. Little small but the price is small as well. I'm all the way on the other coast. If anyone has the time and resources and would extract this one and help ship it for compensation PM me.

I had been kicking the can down the road on the New Haven in Canada but it's quite heavy and large for what I'm doing. Also I think it's gone as the owner no longer is contacting me.

This one is sold. It should be headed west soon enough. As for the New Haven I would love to have it but many hurdles are in my way for that one and it's quite a large planer and is pushing my space limitation. Also he has not responded recently so as it was last know to be going for free I think its possible to assume a scrapper winched that one away. Unfortunately I can't save them all as much as I would love to try.

Back