What's new
What's new

Making new cross slide for Hendey - Advice wanted

elieberman

Plastic
I am in the process of making a new cross slide screw and nut for my Hendey cone head ( 15308 ). It is currently a 10 TPI 2 Start which is a bit beyond my current skill so I got a new rod and nut from Roton. BTW. The nut from Roton does not fit the old screw. The thread depth is a bit different.

On the end of the rod where the hand wheel is attached it is not threaded and my idea was to turn this section down and create a sieeve. I then had the thought that rather than creating the groove all the way down the shaft for the cross feed gear why not just mill it from the handle end. For the taper attachment to work this would only require milling a groove 4-5" vs 15" Can anyone think of any reason this would be an issue ?

LEADSCREW_3869.jpg

Also does anyone have a spare rod stop they would like to sell ? ( Automatic rod stop dog in parts list ) Did not notice mine was cracked until the first time I went to use it.

Thanks,
Eric

Hendey likely thought it was uncouth to have a key way in the exposed end of the screw - so they put the gear on from the far end

Don't neglect the fact that the SCREW moves (towards you or vice versa) when using taper attachment - while the gear has to stay in one place so the cross feed can work - Hendey's way of getting around the need for a telescoping screw - as used on many other makes

Last edited:

Back