What's new
What's new

Marvel Draw Cut #2

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
First off, I am actually impressed by this little hacksaw. I cut quite a bit of steel today with no problems, for the most part. It was jumping a bit and it seemed like the clack that was there was worse than usual.

Well, I did start looking at my machine a bit more today. I opened up the gear box and found a good portion of grease, which got scooped out. I thought the clack was coming from the eccentric arm due to it having set screws which were backing out. Anyways:

So I have some questions and would appreciate any help.

1. The oil slinger in my gear box is missing. Does anyone know what it might look like?

2. I have some pretty terrible grooves in my reciprocating arm, where it looks like it has been run uneven for quite some time. Can I flycut that arm to restore it's geometry?

3. Does anyone have any good pictures of the cam and lobe and the adjustable pin? Mine was broken and I think they tried welding it and then they set screw it with pins into the end of the crank.

Again, thank you for any help.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Just because I can't find a lot about these and I am currently working on mine, here are some pictures of how the frame is mounted to the slide. There is a flat taper pin that gets installed from only one way and it's held in by an Allen Screw

Also, I am about to machine my slide on mine because I can't get the slides to snug up with out making it buck and be in too loose makes it jump. I measured wear on just that part and one side of it and it goes from 0.000 to -0.020 in the center back to 0.000 and that's for the rear slide. The front slide is even worse.
722cbd166b1885948f5628a2cbd9b232.jpg

Well, I did machining today and now the jumpy cutting action is gone and the upper tension ways are not just causing the saw to buck. Since I machined the big piece of steel down, I did have to grind the edges off the shoes to get them to tighten up properly. At least they don't move now.

I did do a few test cuts and I don't know if I'm doing some thing wrong, but the saw does bounce on the forward stroke on certain occasions. I don't know if I'm cutting too light or maybe using a blade with too many TPI. As far as the oil slinger, I'm going to fix that tomorrow.

Back