What's new
What's new

Massey-Ferguson 302 questions

magneticanomaly

Titanium
I am looking at a M-F 302 that is for sale. Perkins Diesel starts easily. Can't do much testing because loader hoses are busted.

Question is about a PTO. There is a cover-plate on the rear axle where i would expect to see a PTO, but no shaft. Does anyone know, or can anyone suggest where I can find out, if PTO was an option on this model, and whether it would just be a matter of slipping it in or if needed internals may also not be present?

THANKS!

A 302 PHEW That's going back some!

As it's an industrial model (as opposed to ag') and a loader to boot, its unlikely to have any PTO internals.

Now this is working on memory and I had very little to do with the MF Ind' range of kit, but if memory serves, with the 302 (which I think is loosely based on the MF65 & 165) some of the space the PTO kit inside the trans case is occupied by the bigger hydraulic pump.

I just helped my neighbor put a clutch in one of these. His is a backhoe. The hydraulics are via front mounted pump with a short shaft to the front of the crankshaft.
His also has a rear pto. The rear pto may have been optional. There is a handle on the side of the gear case below the seat just above and forward of the rear axle to engage the rear pto. There should be a latch to remove the front grill to access the front pump.
I may be able to get pictures tomorrow. he isn't home today.
His is a 1962.

Edit: He also got the rear three point hitch bars to use other rear attachments.

Thankyou MLLud, ……..now all this silly old fart of a Brit has to do is try and remember / workout which industrial MF he posted about :D

P..> a feint bell's ringing in the wind, …….that the rear PTO was for a jackhammer sized air compressor?

Thankyou MLLud, ……..now all this silly old fart of a Brit has to do is try and remember / workout which industrial MF he posted about :D

P..> a feint bell's ringing in the wind, …….that the rear PTO was for a jackhammer sized air compressor?

There were so many models with so many options. Versatility was what they had. I don't like those jackhammers but that was a good sized air compressor.
90 to 125 c.f.m. ?
'Edit; The pto would have ran anything for a three point attachment. Removing the backhoe.

Industrials usually wont have a PTO......the hole in the housing is because the housing is a common use part..........If there is a shuttle shift,there wont be a PTO........there are also two different kinds of PTO......to be useful,you need a special clutch ,industrials generally have a simple single plate clutch........the railways here had a lot of Ford tractors with a giant Holman single cylinder compressor to run tampers and jackhammers......

Industrials usually wont have a PTO......the hole in the housing is because the housing is a common use part..........If there is a shuttle shift,there wont be a PTO........there are also two different kinds of PTO......to be useful,you need a special clutch ,industrials generally have a simple single plate clutch........the railways here had a lot of Ford tractors with a giant Holman single cylinder compressor to run tampers and jackhammers......

The old industrial 302 mf the neighbor has came with the three point bars and a pto but the bars look unused . Its a pretty good hefty job removing the backhoe. We changed the clutch by removing the bucket and moving the front half of the tractor forward inside the loader frame. It does have a single plate clutch. The clutch was actually still good . There was a sheered 5\16 set screw that goes through the shifting fork and clutch pedal shaft. I talked him into renewing all the clutch related parts. We had it opened up.
It was one of those, how did I get myself into this projects. I estimated two days. I forget i'm getting old and am half crippled.

My neighbor insisted on putting each wrench away after each use. He walked 10 miles back and forth fetching wrenches for me. :willy_nilly: I'm not a Massy Ferguson expert. It was just sitting there and needed fixed. He could shift it by standing hard on the clutch pedal. He was going to get hurt using it like that.

Edit
He is a good neighbor and tells me weekly that if I need to use it to come and get it

I know what you mean......an est 1/2 day job on my car,I nearly starved when it took over a week.I think what the model is what was called a Massey 40 here......Ive done dozens ,but the memory fades.........all the MF industrials were a nightmare,because they were basically a ag tractor enclosed in a loader frame.....with the frame restricting access to everything......the MF 165 ag I do know well,as Ive owned them.

Thanks guys :) you've cleared up some ''half memories'' I agree compared to the MF (Ford too) industrial, the Ag kit was a doddle, ……….except that was for an MF 135 with a lettuce planting rig built around it ….whoever built that rig obviously hadn't reckoned on changing clutches etc etc :eek:

The old industrial 302 mf the neighbor has came with the three point bars and a pto but the bars look unused . Its a pretty good hefty job removing the backhoe. We changed the clutch by removing the bucket and moving the front half of the tractor forward inside the loader frame. It does have a single plate clutch. The clutch was actually still good . There was a sheered 5\16 set screw that goes through the shifting fork and clutch pedal shaft. I talked him into renewing all the clutch related parts. We had it opened up.
It was one of those, how did I get myself into this projects. I estimated two days. I forget i'm getting old and am half crippled.

My neighbor insisted on putting each wrench away after each use. He walked 10 miles back and forth fetching wrenches for me. :willy_nilly: I'm not a Massy Ferguson expert. It was just sitting there and needed fixed. He could shift it by standing hard on the clutch pedal. He was going to get hurt using it like that.

Edit
He is a good neighbor and tells me weekly that if I need to use it to come and get it

I once worked with a guy like that. He'd weigh up what tools he thought he needed and just take those. Just a couple of wrenches and maybe three Allen keys. If you needed something else it could be a 10 minute walk back to the maintenance shop ! He'd walk all the way there and back for a 3/16" Allen key. Strange bloke.

He drove me crackers, in the end I insisted we used my tools. I'd got enough tools for 95% of the jobs in my leather carry bag. It was a bit heavy but you only made the journey once. Maybe that was his plan all along !

Regards Tyrone.

I'd got enough tools for 95% of the jobs in my leather carry bag. It was a bit heavy but you only made the journey once.
Regards Tyrone.
When I was on maintenance in the veg growers pack houses etc etc I made custom plywood tool trays that stacked in the van, and also fitted on a folding fishing tackle trolley like this Dinsmore tackle trolley

Folded up the trolley hung on the inside back door of the Transit, - turn up at job, unfold trolley and load with the tool boxes you'd need - job done and without your hands hanging below your knees.

When I was on maintenance in the veg growers pack houses etc etc I made custom plywood tool trays that stacked in the van, and also fitted on a folding fishing tackle trolley like this Dinsmore tackle trolley

Folded up the trolley hung on the inside back door of the Transit, - turn up at job, unfold trolley and load with the tool boxes you'd need - job done and without your hands hanging below your knees.

I'd pared down what was in the bag to the essentials. I could have told you exactly what was in that bag and I checked it regularly. I only lost one tool, a 1/4" Whit x 5/16" Whit spanner, in all the time I was on machine tool maintenance. That could possibly have been my greatest achievement given some of the sticky fingered bastards I worked with !

Regards Tyrone

I used to hate losing a spanner and watching it fall 30 ft down into the river.You knew you wernt getting it back.

I was installing some water pipe along the top of an high internal wall years ago. The wall was open at the top, the double brick had a gap but the two rows were held together with wall ties.

I managed to drop my beloved gland pliers, that I'd had from being a lad, down the gap !

I was gutted. They were like old friends.

I got my torch ( flashlight ) out and had a look to see where they'd gone. Unbelievably the gland pliers had landed astride one of the wall ties about 15 ft down ! I got my pot magnet on a string out and after about 10 minutes of extremely careful fishing the gland pliers were back in my possession !

Regards Tyrone.

Bit OT,but.....dunno if you watch Jeremy Wade,but one show he was fishing right opposite the crude oil terminal,where I used to work a lot.And lost a few spanners.....Anyhoo ,he was fishin for bull sharks,when he got a bite,a biggie......Turned out to be a grouper bigger than he was.There was a story that a rigger had lost something into the river there and dived in after it......he never surfaced,and was never seen again....Quite a few stories of the river mouth like that.....makes you hang on .I never wore a harness,too much of a nuisance.

More fish story's
One of the hydroelectric dams in southern Missouri sent some divers down on the outlet side to do an inspection and they seen catfish down there that sent them packing and wouldn't go back down. I guess those catfish lay down there and feed on what goes through the system.
I was told this as a young man. It could have been a made up story.�� I could see that happening with a steady stream of food. ��:

After doing a google search i found that this story is most likely just a STORY!!

Last edited:
Jeremy Wade also did a bit on alligator gar in southern US waters.......now thats a scary fish.......seems the authorities tried to exterminate them in the 1920s,and in some states got several tons of alligator gar per mile of river.

More fish story's
One of the hydroelectric dams in southern Missouri sent some divers down on the outlet side to do an inspection and they seen catfish down there that sent them packing and wouldn't go back down. I guess those catfish lay down there and feed on what goes through the system.
I was told this as a young man. It could have been a made up story.�� I could see that happening with a steady stream of food. ��:

After doing a google search i found that this story is most likely just a STORY!!

I, too, have heard the stories. But I have also seen photos I think were authentic from the late 1800's/early 1900's showing early settlers with 6+ foot long catfish.

I, too, have heard the stories. But I have also seen photos I think were authentic from the late 1800's/early 1900's showing early settlers with 6+ foot long catfish.

I live near the Mississippi river and have seen 90lb flathead catfish caught. The commercial fishermen say there are much bigger. Landing them isn't easy. I have seen those old photos also. I was proud of my 16 pounder.
You have to set trout lines to catch the big ones.

Quote by John K
Jeremy Wade also did a bit on alligator gar in southern US waters.......now thats a scary fish.......seems the authorities tried to exterminate them in the 1920s,and in some states got several tons of alligator gar per mile of river.

John
I have caught gar out of the Mississippi River as a kid. They are intimidating. We would just cut the line. We always hated loosing our hook but those teeth are sharp. The gar we caught were long nose gar. There are alligator gar local in the Mississippi but most are to the south. Im near St Louis
I didn't know anyone local that ate them. Now they are considered endangered in some places.

I am looking at a M-F 302 that is for sale. Perkins Diesel starts easily. Can't do much testing because loader hoses are busted.

Question is about a PTO. There is a cover-plate on the rear axle where i would expect to see a PTO, but no shaft. Does anyone know, or can anyone suggest where I can find out, if PTO was an option on this model, and whether it would just be a matter of slipping it in or if needed internals may also not be present?

THANKS!

I am curious about the tractor. Did you buy it. I doubt that the other internal parts for the PTO would be there if there is no shaft. Ag. tractor parts should interchange.
That 54 R130 I.H of yours would look good and fit the era trailering that M.F. 302 tractor home. As long as its not a cross country journey.

Back