What's new
What's new

Max 16 inch universal sander

Utah68

Plastic
Hello I am new to this If I make a mistake please let me know I am not computer friendly. I have gotten a max 16 inch disk sander not sure but i think it is in the 1940's the motor has a 3/4 inch shaft can anyone help me to identify. but if you can I need someone to help me post a picture. I am not computer friendly so be nice. thanks

Certainly pictures would be necessary as a minimum. Please look at the "Sticky" by SouthBendModel34 at the beginning of this forum for some helpful photo guidelines. Also, perhaps posting this in the "Woodworking and Woodworking Machinery" forum, also with photos, may bring some results if this is a woodworking type machine.

Tom B.

I can help. I collect Max sanders, and I have the same model -- a 1940's Max 16" sander.

The 1940's models had motors with 3/4" shaft and the base of the sander looks like a trapezoid. Later, they switched to a more compact trapezoid, then to a round base like the current ones.

The 3/4" shaft is due to the fact that your sander was made before NEMA standardized all manufacturers' motor + shaft sizes in the mid 1950's. After that, all of the Max sanders switched to taking 7/8" or bigger shafts. The motor on yours is likely a Frame #203 motor, which is no longer made due to standardization. I've also seen them with a "Frame 184", but it will not match current frame 184 motors, because after standardization those all switched to 7/8" shaft.

Max made fantastic machines. Nice strong oversized designs that run forever. Yours will last a lifetime. Make sure to adjust it so that the table is no more than 1/8" gap with the sanding disc, or it can suck in your workpiece or your fingers.

Does yours look like this:
Max Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints - Max disc sander 16 inch | VintageMachinery.org

You'll find scans of old Max brochures with lots of info here:
Max Manufacturing Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org\

If you upload a picture, I can maybe identify more about it.

Back