What's new
What's new

Maxmill problem

coupeute

Plastic
I have a Maxmill Bridgeport copy and am having a problem with the cross feed. After removing an inspection plate, it appears that the threaded bushing has slipped out of the casting. This is obviously a difficult job to re-insert it and I'm wondering if anyone has come across a problem like this with their Maxmill and have found an easy way to fix the problem.

How old is your antique Maxmill?

Did you know there is a Bridgeport forum on this website where clones are also discussed?

Is the "threaded bushing" more commonly called a feed nut? Is it supposed to be held into the casting with a set screw?

Larry

How old is your antique Maxmill?

Did you know there is a Bridgeport forum on this website where clones are also discussed?

Is the "threaded bushing" more commonly called a feed nut? Is it supposed to be held into the casting with a set screw?

Larry

Thank you for your reply Larry. Yes I guess it would be called a feed nut and there does appear to be a set screw to hold it in place but I think the screw has worn into the nut and removed metal which most likely caused it to slip out of the casting. To access the nut, I think that the ways will have to be removed and naturally it's very heavy.

Perhaps the feed nut has a shallow hole to allow the set screw to maintain position even if someone cranks the feed handle with the gib locked. If the nut was assembled with the set screw against the outer diameter of the nut instead of in the hole, the nut could be pulled out of the casting.

Larry

Back