What's new
What's new

Maybe 24" Hendey Double Back Gear

johnoder

Diamond
Sure do like the extra tee slots in chuck

The DA Aloris gives an idea of size

4 jaw lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Hendey would sell you 4 step cone single back gear, 4 step cone DBG, and 3 step cone DBG - all over 8K for weight

About the first of my docs photographed rather than scanned.

Attachments

• 20191227_201152.jpg
    20191227_201152.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 134
  • Specs.jpg
    Specs.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Machine in or around Binghamton, NY. Is this machine unique enough that someone in upstate NY should try and get some additional photos?
Looks like there is also either a toolpost grinder there or remnants of a T&C grinder.

johnoder:

The extra "T" slot on the left hand side of the carriage is for the Full Swing Tool Post. This was handy when turning flywheels and other
full capacity items. The twenty-four inch lathe was sold in two sizes, a Light model and a Heavy model, known at Hendey as a No.24 and a
No.26 respectively. The Heavy had the Double Back Gear and with a Two Speed Countershaft offered twenty-four speeds. The Full Swing
Tool Post was standard on the Thirty-two inch swing lathe, the last two were produced in 1915.

Hendeyman

That looks pretty nice in some ways.
It has a Drive-All on top, I think. If that is a 3 step lathe with double back gear and if I remember right, that set up would give 12 speeds, is that right? (I own such a lathe--not a Hendey--but I haven't used it for 20 years, it is in a closed up shop.

That looks pretty nice in some ways.
It has a Drive-All on top, I think. If that is a 3 step lathe with double back gear and if I remember right, that set up would give 12 speeds, is that right? (I own such a lathe--not a Hendey--but I haven't used it for 20 years, it is in a closed up shop.

Or 9 with three step cone - disregarding gear box which was not original. As hendeyman wrote above, two speed counter shafts were common

Back