What's new
What's new

Micrometers As Clamps

plannerpower

Hot Rolled
We sometimes joke about "precision C-clamps" but this is real, a screenshot from a video of a stove flue installation;

No matter how worn-out the micrometers are, I simply couldn't bring myself to do this: I respect tools too much.

I had a gal working for me once who, if a part was a couple thousandths to big, would force a mic to make it read what she wanted it to. She didn't last long (Needed work, a freind of the family deal).

Yanks, like on a chain?

No, Yanks that can't even convert inches to millimetres :D

18'' - 457mm / 45.7 cm or rounded to 450mm,and NOT 400mm

FWIW In the engineering and machining using the metric system, centimetres (cm) do NOT exist, ……..use only millimetres and metres.

No, Yanks that can't even convert inches to millimetres :D

18'' - 457mm / 45.7 cm or rounded to 450mm,and NOT 400mm

Oi! I was keeping it real, as being (ick) metric the wrench is actually 40cm, not 45cm.

Generic Pipe Wrench, Size 40cm : SMEshops.com

See, my conjecture that you're secretly American is proven correct, as you don't actually know what lengths pipe wrenches are sold in, in "your" former colony.

Even better, if you go to Amazon.co.uk and search for "pipe wrench", you get metric, Imperial, and mixed units. Proving once again why "British Engineering" is an oxymoron.

Ah, but I'm old enough to both know and have used, pipe wrenches measured in inches. ;)

FYI As far as UK made pipe wrenches (usually of the Stillson pattern therefore known as Stillsons,) the std / commonly lengths traditionally available were / are 8'', 10'', 14'', 18'', 24'', 36'', 48''

Note there are no 16'' ;)

FYI 2 Stillson pattern pipe wrench https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pipe-wrenches/7319418/

Sorry I didn't check the link

Note there are no 16'' ;)

And India noticed this deficiency and remedied it. Clearly showing their superiority in engineering and design, along with that Moon mission thing.

M'Lud, I rest my case, and request the defendant be found to be an American, as he uses Inch units. Having been so condemned, he must take on all the rights and trappings that go with that finding, such as having a maniac for President, err, Prime Minister.

What? Boris? Boris who? Sounds Russian, what happened to that May woman? First name James, I recollect...

And India noticed this deficiency and remedied it. Clearly showing their superiority in engineering and design, along with that Moon mission thing.

M'Lud, I rest my case, and request the defendant be found to be an American, as he uses Inch units. Having been so condemned, he must take on all the rights and trappings that go with that finding, such as having a maniac for President, err, Prime Minister.

What? Boris? Boris who? Sounds Russian, what happened to that May woman? First name James, I recollect...

That's it dear, keep taking the tablets.

I think that is a good idea.
. Dykem die the mic Red and go for it.

A scrap mic welded to a part holding fixture would be very good IMHO.

I have seen micrometers that were .002 off at close zero , but fine/ok at all other settings.

For free, and with free shipping I could use a few.

Back on topic:)
Bought this little fellow, described as a clamp, on a certain auction site.
Well used / abused? but low cost so I was able to buy it out of my pitifully small amount of pocket money.
P1220072sm.jpg
BTW I am not really a tool collector.........
Mark

One of the Flexo crew came into the maintenance shop and asked the supervisor if he borrow the 1" mic laying on his desk."Just bring it back as soon as you're through wit it."
Later that afternoon the super was walking through the Flexo dept and asked the guy if he returned the mic."No but I'll get it for you".He walked over to the delivery table and unclamped the mic from a piece of sheet metal he was using for a carton guide!

MIL used to help out at the last business I had.One night after close out I was doing some paper work and she picked up a nice 6" dial caliper of my desk and asked if she could use it.Yeah I replied trying to concentrate on my work,little voice in the back of my mind wtf does she know about calipers?
My concentration was broken by WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! as she was nailing a new calendar on the wall!

Back