What's new
What's new

Mid 30s Reed Prentiss lathe chuck

marka12161

Stainless
I'm considering buying a mid 30s 14" swing RP lathe but it lacks a chuck. It has a threaded spindle nose. Anyone know what thread size so i can begin the hunt for a chuck?

I'm considering buying a mid 30s 14" swing RP lathe but it lacks a chuck. It has a threaded spindle nose. Anyone know what thread size so i can begin the hunt for a chuck?
Don't get your hopes up 2 3/4 - 4 in April '31 Circular 10-314-2 Majority of threaded spindles on heavy duty antiques are not something you can buy today

The other parts of this is that even if you came up with the right thread it may not be suited to RP's detail.............. Example thumbnail shows 1910 L&S scan when their smallest 4 pitch thread was 3 3/8 dia. If you brung home a straight hole 3 3/8 - 4, it still would not screw on all the way, simply because L&S used an oversize shoulder behind the thread.....................

Attachments

• 068crop2.jpg
    068crop2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 71
Thanks John. I've resigned myself to fabricating a backing plate to fit and buying a suitable Chuck. Will be bringing the machine home this weekend.

Will do. It might make sense to wait until I get the machine home so I can get the serial number which I assume you need to positively identify the date.

Back