What's new
What's new

Miehle vertical printing press up for grabs - Boston area

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I hope this isn't inappropriate content, someone smack me down if so.

A local maker space is moving soon and there's a Miehle vertical printing press (serial # V-19639) that belonged to a member who, well, seems to have met with some sort of misfortune, and is unlikely to be back to collect it in the near future.

Supposedly this worked when it was brought in and I don't think that anything's been done with it since. It's a beautiful machine, wonderfully complex with all sorts of parts that do who-knows-what, even from the perspective of a C&P owner. But sadly it's got pretty much as close to zero resale value as is possible.

At the very least it's got a 3hp 3ph 220/440 motor, what look like a couple of V twin air pumps, a larger all-metal Bijur oiler, gauges, knobs, levers, a shiny flywheel, etc. Probably a bunch of the interesting parts won't come off trivially - parts hold other parts on, parts are pressed onto shafts, etc. There doesn't appear to be more than a trifling amount of copper alloys, in case someone's thinking of scrap value.

I can arrange for a convincingly responsible person who can act somewhat like an adult (the standards are pretty low in this community) to come in and salvage parts off of it, or (ideally) take the whole thing away. We're really busy with the upcoming move, there's unlikely to be anyone here who wants to talk about printing presses, deal with "maybe" anything, or help you. We have a 5500 lb pallet jack, a loading dock, and ground access. That's all there is for help. I have no idea what it weighs, I'm sure you can look it up if you're curious.

PM me if interested. Don't ask me about the press, I've already told everything I know.
miehle-sm.jpgmiehle-2-sm.jpg

Those area great press. Prior to offset lithography, the color photos in National Geographic were printed on them. When I was 13 I started working summers in my father's print shop. My first job was running one of those... perforating sheets of paper for an accounting system my dad and his partner had designed. I ran 250,000 sheets and it took most of the summer.

There were great stacks of boxes of paper all around the press and I had orders to hide behind them if anyone "official looking" came into the shop...I was drastically under age to be running presses!

There is a printing museum north of Boston maybe Haverhill. They would be interested.
How big, heavy is it?

I didn't ask them, but someone did ask a reseller of letterpress equipment, who estimated its value by saying that we shouldn't pay to have it hauled away for scrap - there's enough metal that a scrap dealer should do it for free. There's a person in one of the pictures for scale - it's probably 5 feet tall. I would guess upwards of 3k pounds.

I haven't been to the printing museum in a while (which is worth a visit, especially for special events when they've got the Linotype running), but I assume that they'd have one if they wanted, and there are no doubt pristine looking and running ones available.

My impression is that the 1800's looking clamshell presses, such as Chandler & Price, Kluge, etc have found a niche with hobbyists and small boutique printing shops (wedding invitations etc), while better presses like the Miehle that can do higher volume don't offer any real benefit for those jobs over a C&P, and are a lot more complicated.

Comparing a Miehle Vertical to a Chandler & Price is a little like comparing a 13" South Bend to a Hendey Tool & Gaugemaker's lathe. But, I doubt the differences make much sense to anyone who wasn't printing when they were both in every day use.

Last edited:

Back