What's new
What's new

Mill identification

After another look at Tony's pages .
It looks like that one may be a different model than shown on Tony's site or there were some modifications to the feed motor and the main motor mounted up on the sliding block .

If it is a machine you are considering buying you might want to take a good look at those areas to be sure that they are well done.

If the original built in motors were something like 380 Volt 5o Hz. then the machine may have been modified for single phase or 220/440 3phase to suit the power available locally.
The machine may still be quite useable in spite of the modifications but still something to study carefully to avoid surprises later.
Regards,
Jim

It’s listed as a 440 machine. I haven’t viewed it in person. It was more of a curiosity, but I might get bored and put some eyeballs on it. I would probably only buy it if things looked savable and keep it from the scrappers. Just sell it onto someone else after that.

Also post on the Deckel forum, they may narrow it down for you, there were several Abene style mills from a variety of European and former combloc nations if I am not mistaken. Jim

I'm not able to confirm it is an Abene or not but here a little info abt that manufacturer:

Started 1938 as Eklunds Mekaniska verkstad, Stockholm, by Elias Napoleon Eklund. Made milling and other machines that were exported worldwide. The early milling machines had unusual layout, same as on TS pics.
The Co is still in business today.

Lars

I have a larger Van Norman (#28A) and suffer a small envy concerning Abenes. I'm only 5'6" tall, and the big VN in horizontal mode puts the arbor at about eye level, which means that sometimes the table is up near chin level. Because the Abene ram slides on a 45 degree slope, when you put it into horizontal mode, the arbor is at a much more convenient level.

Anyway, if you have a use for it, an Abene is quite a competent machine in either vertical or horizontal modes. The one in the OP photos clearly hasn't been used in horizontal mode since its last paint job (witness the paint on the overarm). It's also hard to tell scale, but that might be one of the smaller models.

Back