What's new
What's new

Mill Master milling machine?

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
Hi fellas,
I bought this old vertical mill this week.
I don't see any id tags on it and can't find any info on a Mill Master.
Someone suggested it looked like an Index but I don't find any index mills with double step pully system. It says Mill Master on the pulley guard on the head. I'd like .to start looking for a manual
I can't seem to post photos here.
There are a few photos on a a tractor board I hang out on.
Bought another prehistoric piece o... - Yesterday's Tractors

Interesting setup, that leaves room for a good spread of rpms. doesn't look the stoutest machine but I bet with a little cleaning she'll get at it and get it done.

The design of milling machine looks like WWII era, when a number of lighter duty mills were designed and built for the war effort. This type of design was used by Wells, Index, and Fray. I'd check Tony Griffiths' site "Machine Tool Archive" and see if any of these manufacturers' mills bear a strong resemblance to your Mill Master.

In later years, US-Burke offered a vertical milling machine with the name "Millrite". US Machine Tool Company also built lighter-duty vertical mills with vee belt drive prior to becoming "US-Burke". Might have been one of their machines, but US Machine Tool Company put their names on their machine tools as cast lettering on the mainframes.

There has been much written on this 'board about how to clean up rusted machine tools. It's all good information and will not do further damage to the machine tool if the methods are done properly. The objective is to avoid removing any more metal from machined surfaces, and to avoid getting abrasive grit in between sliding or rotating machined parts. Some thought, along with patience and elbow grease are the prime ingredients for cleaning up and getting an old rusted machine tool into some kind of operating condition. Single-edge razor blades to scrape away rust, fine steel wool, penetrating oil or kerosene, and fine oil stones to take down any burrs are a good starting point. Avoid moving the table, saddle, and knee of the machine until you have gotten the rust and grunge off of them.

Outstanding!! Thank you.
I will order that manual if it is still available..
That is almost the same machine.
About the only difference I see is the one in the pictures has a handwheel to angle the head and mine does not.
Mine didn't travel too far. It was built about 12 miles from here.

I have essentially identical machine

Hi fellas,
I bought this old vertical mill this week.
I don't see any id tags on it and can't find any info on a Mill Master.
Someone suggested it looked like an Index but I don't find any index mills with double step pully system. It says Mill Master on the pulley guard on the head. I'd like .to start looking for a manual
I can't seem to post photos here.
There are a few photos on a a tractor board I hang out on.
Bought another prehistoric piece o... - Yesterday's Tractors

I really hope you spot my reply- I'm months late after you posted, but just saw it and joined. I have turned the world upside down looking for info on my mill. It's basically a 'US Machines Millrite' according to the casting on the side, made in 'St. Paul, Minn'
There are very, very few in the config you and I share. I got mine for free, a piano tuner was using it to machine piano actions back into tune. We live in the Bridgeport, CT area. I'd love to know what year mine mill is from, I've never seen an identifying stamp on it, and I do have the belt cover, I just don't have enough room to flip it open. I'd say it's a very early very cheap version of the MillMaster. The motor/step pulley config is nowhere near as easy to use as the bridgeport style head, and the motor location means the mill needs a lot more room. Anyway, I'm looking for parts, info, manuals, a step-by-step YouTube spindle rebuild, and a free servo motor to replace the 1 hp motor I've got, LOL.
Millmaster.jpgMillmaster2.jpg

Nice to see another Millmaster. I sent you a private message - or tried to. This website has the worst software...
I still don't have mine running but I did do a major refresh on it this winter.
Am presently building a phase converter to run it but even that has stopped due to the brutal cold we've had here lately.20210126_063445.jpg

Ummmm...... that is not what is cast into the side. Not a Millrite.

"Made in St Paul" is cast in the side... parsing error.

Basically a Millrite. and then separate thought: Made in St Paul... per what is cast in the side

A lot of things were made in St Paul.... I was just up there again (grew up there), lots of old industrial areas. Across the river on the flats, up at north of University and Pierce Butler Route, along PBR, out 7th street, etc. Also other areas.

There is still a building at that address, that looks as if it could have been the building for the company. Rather deep, goes clear back to the next street, (Myrtle), and could have been a factory, or at least a big sales office and warehouse.

6BKtW3z.jpg

I think I was typing with the TV and the old lady all making noise... I was distracted. Hope I didn't mislead anyone. It's a 'Midway Millmaster 501'.
Mine has the year 1947 scrawled on the inside of the door, it's just written in grease pen. These machines are pretty basic, mostly used for the military for making war stuff. A bridgeport vertical mill is far superior, but with new bearings this machine would handle a decent cut. The slides and calibrations are very good, the crude millhead is not so great. I got my machine for free. I'd love to upgrade with a Millrite head or some other light mill where I'd have a variable speed motor and/or lever belt release and a spindle brake. Also, this machine is Morse taper, I wish it was R8.

There is still a building at that address, that looks as if it could have been the building for the company. Rather deep, goes clear back to the next street, (Myrtle), and could have been a factory, or at least a big sales office and warehouse.

6BKtW3z.jpg

That is the factory.
Use to be the old streetcar barn.
Then was bought in 1909 and remodeled and became The Sageng Threshing Machine Co.
Later it was Midway Foundry, then Midway Machine Co., then Midway Machine & Engineering Co.

Rob

Attachments

• Midway 1909 1b.jpg
    Midway 1909 1b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Midway 1909 2b.jpg
    Midway 1909 2b.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Midway 1909 3b.jpg
    Midway 1909 3b.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Midway 1909 4b.jpg