What's new
What's new

Milling machine with tilting bed

Asquith

Diamond
JD 2020 K&G 1.jpg1 JD 2020 K&G 2.jpg2

By way of a distraction from the current unpleasantness, let me offer this Kendall & Gent (Manchester) milling machine. Not sure of the date, but probably from the Depression Era (the one in the last century).

Interesting concept. Anyone come across anything similar?

Last edited:
Not similar but if my memory is correct I seen at an Auction a B&S mill that was adjustable so that angles could be milled. Both X and Y, had 2 lead screws for each axis. For example if X were tilted on a typical mill it would still mill straight so a second set of ways with another lead screw would move the entire table and they ways it was attached to. It was both Horizontal and Vertical. Wasn't very big and was in the Tool Room at Ingersol. First one I've ever seen, bid on it but someone else wanted it more than I did.

Huh, are you saying the Deckel can't do the same thing? Can you explain that to me? I'll grant you the work size is smaller.

Nothing to do with milling angles.

Well.. noo.. but that's a stretch of symantics.

Handy as Hell for a dead flat surface, but .. where the casting or weldment is a long-axis "wedge" shape, under that particular flat surface. "Production", same part, working less lost daylight and messing about than with a fixture atop an ordinary mlll. And its mate - even if but mounting feet, pads, and NOT not a full bearing surface - or it could also be - IS at "an" angle.

Some iC engine cylinder heads were/are that shape.

Mind - flat surfaces are not the only, nor even the BEST use of such a critter.

Long surfaces with curves could make even better use - much as a vertical mill might make use of but part of a revolution off a rotab.

The jaws of a certain tribe of rock crusher one was once overly sweat-familiar with. PITA on the mills - no fixture nor trunnion - we HAD.

Interesting concept. The trunnions must be very long and well fitted. And if you put on a finishing cut of 1/32 the end will come up by 1/16

I find that I posted pictures of the Kendall & Gent tilting bed & table machine, along with another unusual type, 11 years ago! I'd forgotten all about it. At that time I didn't include the descriptive text, but offered my own explanation. A number of people got it, back then!

Two unusual milling machines

I find that I posted pictures of the Kendall & Gent tilting bed & table machine, along with another unusual type, 11 years ago! I'd forgotten all about it. At that time I didn't include the descriptive text, but offered my own explanation. A number of people got it, back then!

Two unusual milling machines

" Kendall & Gent " made some huge planers and plano-mills back in the day. Another top company that fell foul of " Staveley Industries ". A pal of mine who worked for Asquith's namesake company built the last batch of the large VM-25 kneeless milling machines that " Kendall & Gent " made when the Gorton factory shut and the work was transferred to Halifax.

Regards Tyrone.

Back