What's new
What's new

Milwaukee toolmaker surface grinder wheel removal

JFrost

Plastic
Hello! I am a bladesmith with limited machining skills. Years ago, I bought a delta Milwaukee toolmaker surface grinder, without knowing what I needed to maintain it. I had nothing but the grinder. No wheel dresser, no wheel balancer, no additional wheels, but most importantly, NO HUB PULLER.

Image no idea how to take this wheel off. It looks like it takes two separate spanners and an Alan key, but I have no idea how to take it off. I tried with an adjustable spanner and an Alan key, but that just made the center of the hub begin to loosen. The model is 24-105. If anyone can help me or explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!!

-joshua

Mine only came with one hub too. Doesn't take a puller.

You can find the manual for the machine on VintageMachinery.org Delta Specialty/Delta Mfg. Co./Delta-Rockwell/Rockwell Intl. - Publication Reprints - PM 1643 & 1645 Toolmaker Tool and Cutter Grinder & Unihead Operating Manual | VintageMachinery.org

That is one for the older machines with a right hand thread hub. If you have a newer machine, with a geometric rather than curvy look, then the hub is left-hand thread. They have the newer manual somewhere there, but it's a lot to sort through and I've already downloaded a copy.

Apologies to all concerned, I attempted to edit the thread title using my phone which apparently caused the thread to be deleted. Title and thread now fixed.

On the older Delta Surface grinders, the hub was not made to remove. It is a very tight fit to the spindle. The newer Rockwell-Delta one's may have removable hubs, IDK. Ken

Hello! I am a bladesmith with limited machining skills. Years ago, I bought a delta Milwaukee toolmaker surface grinder, without knowing what I needed to maintain it. I had nothing but the grinder. No wheel dresser, no wheel balancer, no additional wheels, but most importantly, NO HUB PULLER.

Image no idea how to take this wheel off. It looks like it takes two separate spanners and an Alan key, but I have no idea how to take it off. I tried with an adjustable spanner and an Alan key, but that just made the center of the hub begin to loosen. The model is 24-105. If anyone can help me or explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!!

-joshua

If I remember right, you'll loosen the center spanner nut, but keep it threaded, and tighten the allen key until the taper comes free, then remove the center spanner. The spanner is what holds the hub onto the spindle, while the allen key pushes on the center of the spindle to pull the hub off.

The one I had didn't have flats on the hub to hold it when tightening the outer spanner, which holds the grinding wheel on the hub, but that isn't supposed to be terribly tight either. If you pull the belt guard off, you can grab hold of the belt close to the spindle pulley to keep it from spinning as you loosen the spanner.

Once you get it apart, It might not be a bad idea to mill some flats on the back of the hub, just keep them even so that the hub stays balanced.

Back