What's new
What's new

missing parts 1950 Cincinnati tray top lathe

"Mike"

Plastic
I've got a 1950 Tray Top 10x24. I picked it up as a basket case from the estate of the guy who was rebuilding it, but sadly, he passed away while it was in pieces. Supposedly, the boxes I received contained everything except for a couple of known parts, but as it turns out, that wasn't the case.

Biggest issue is the gears that connect the spindle with the gearbox. I do have the banjo bracket, but nothing else. There's two gears, and the shaft for the larger of the two gears that I'm most concerned with right now.

I'm hoping to find someone with an early 10" or 12.5" Tray Top who could help me out with some pics and specs.

Thanks
Mike
[email protected]

Seen your post, have you had any luck?
I’m also looking for parts, mine was in worse condition than yours if your only missing a few gears, and it’s heading to eBay if I don’t find a parts machine within a few weeks

There used to be a member that went by traytopjohnny on one of these forums. He worked for them in some capacity. When I had a traytopjohnny years ago he was pretty knowledgeable.

Assuming the gears you DO HAVE are left end gears, you can determine tooth size, which is DIAMETRAL PITCH

Measure clean burr free OD with mic

Count teeth, ADD TWO TO COUNT

Divide sum by mic OD

Example:

32 teeth

2.125" OD

34 divided by 2.125 = 16 DP

The TOOTH COUNT for the gears needed are in the linked manual - you have to pay attention to the gears with the AB code - which I am fairly sure the manual states are for the smaller versions of the lathe

Back