What's new
What's new

Model of steam engine~ interesting.

JoeE.

Titanium
Vintage - Air Tools - Miami, Oklahoma | Facebook Marketplace

Scrolling through facebook, this showed up. Guy was curious as to what it was and was looking for information. He and I conversed and he now knows what he has, and was more or less wondering about it's lineage and where it could have been made. He says it made out of lead, he thinks. He says he worked in a tool and die shop, so he's not completely unaware of what and how it works.

Multiple photos show interesting "features".

11..jpg 111..jpg

1111..jpg 1..jpg

11111..jpg

Last edited:
2/2016 - Due to a recent surge in posts containing no content other than a craigslist link, the following guideline applies;

"If the opening post of a thread contains a link to item(s) on craigslist, ebay or similar, the post should also contain relevant images or discussion, and the item(s) in question should be appropriate in the Antique Machinery forum."

Lacking the image/discussion, or if the link's subject is not relevant to the Antique Machinery forum, the thread is subject to deletion by the moderator.
Last edited by Greg Menke; 02-16-2016 at 10:29 AM.

2/2016 - Due to a recent surge in posts containing no content other than a craigslist link, the following guideline applies;

"If the opening post of a thread contains a link to item(s) on craigslist, ebay or similar, the post should also contain relevant images or discussion, and the item(s) in question should be appropriate in the Antique Machinery forum."

Lacking the image/discussion, or if the link's subject is not relevant to the Antique Machinery forum, the thread is subject to deletion by the moderator.
Last edited by Greg Menke; 02-16-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Did you actually follow the link or are you just shitting on his post? Pretty sure its best if he doesn't post the image here.

Its an interesting find, I'd be curious as to its history as well.

They instituted it because the marketplace link will go away fairly soon in a lot cases where this thread won't and if the image isn't copied here folks reading this thread a year from now won't have a clue what was being looked at

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They instituted it because the marketplace link will go away fairly soon in a lot cases where this thread won't and if the image isn't copied here folks reading this thread a year from now won't have a clue what was being looked at

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Add to that the fact that not everyone uses Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Man that's a rough hunk of stuff. I'd think it may be back-yard cast zinc or aluminum. Not sure what the swastika is all about, it's either older than the 30's or the builder had an odd sense of humor.

Did you actually follow the link or are you just shitting on his post? Pretty sure its best if he doesn't post the image here.

Its an interesting find, I'd be curious as to its history as well.

Yes, I looked at the link and I am not shitting on his post as you say. This comes up many times every week and I am sure that Greg Menke is sick of pointing out to people to follow the rules at the top of the page. It is simple, read the sticky posts at the top of the page and follow the rules and don't cry when someone points the rules out and don't be a dick about it.

Yes, I looked at the link and I am not shitting on his post as you say. This comes up many times every week and I am sure that Greg Menke is sick of pointing out to people to follow the rules at the top of the page. It is simple, read the sticky posts at the top of the page and follow the rules and don't cry when someone points the rules out and don't be a dick about it.

If this is such a burning issue with you, as it seems to be, as well as with the moderator, why don't you take the bull by the horns and make the sticky on the forum page stand out from the other bazillion sticky's on this home page. We all know that very few folks read those sticky's before they post, especially in a forum with some many.

Being a bit sore from my previous experience here, I'm a bit miffed that post # 4 wasn't jettisoned for being argumentative, like my post was...is there a selective process for deleting post on this forum?

So..to get net, make the sticky in bold, red text with arrows and blinking lights..hard to miss.

Stuart

Ok, I added the facebook pictures to the original post.

I'll add them here, too.

...and, p.s.~ in the 6 months I've belonged to this group, I've never ever read any of the stuff that's "sticky" at the top of any of the forums ;) !

11111..jpg

1111..jpg

111..jpg

11..jpg

1..jpg

....and what do you mean by all of that, thermite?
Read his description it says the engine is made entirely from lead! Seems to be a very unlikely choice to build a steam engine but who knows maybe someone did it? It already looks like a pretty oddball anyhow.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

The "swastika" is actually the reverse of the usual Nazi symbol. More discussion at Swastika - Wikipedia

As a result of World War II and the Holocaust, many people in the West still strongly associate it with Nazism and antisemitism.[5][6] The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies.

Joe in NH

That not so little engine made crudely with materials at hand actually reveals more than the eye can see. There were patterns involved and machine work and planning.. the builder knew steam engine's. He made do with what he had and considering his medium I think he did pretty darn well. It definitely ran as intended and could be made to run again in a few hours. Maybe it was a joint project by Dad and son to teach the boy the basics of sand casting and machine work. It ain't no silk purse but sure beats a sows ear. I would be glad to have it in my collection to show what could be done with the simplest materials and tools.

There was a similar style of engine design published in the Popular Mechanics Shop notes from 1924 that could have been an inspiration for someone building this engine or similar ones with the facilities they had available at the time .
I posted some pictures in Post # 13 of this thread .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...istory/model-steam-engine-365581/#post3377866
This volume of Shop Notes is not yet available with these others that were linked by Rick A54 in this thread.
Popular Mechanics Shop Notes 1905-1921
Jim

Back