What's new
What's new

Mold maker's tools to give away

Clodbuster

Aluminum
I got handed a box of (very) basic molding tools from an older guy who's downsizing his shop. He in turn got them from a retired Seattle foundryman who knows how long ago.

box tools.jpg
spread tools.jpg

I have no need of them but I hate to throw away a little piece of history if someone here wants it. There was good interest in the last post here about molding tools, so if someone is interested in them I would be happy to send to the first person willing to pick up/ pay shipping. Please send me a DM if interested.

Thanks,

Garrett

Making molds as in sand molds? I have my grandfather's tools and most of them look like double ended clay sculpture tools. Others include cast ID stamps and wood blocks with raised metal numbers and letters. There were also a few homemade sheet metal tools for cutting pouring sprues and vents, plus a pair of wire-framed safety glasses with tinted lenses.

Names of These Foundryman's Tools?

Every trade has specialized tools and most of them have names.

Can anyone here put names to, or describe the functions of, the foundryman's tools pictured in the OP ?

I think the wooden bar used to strike the sand level with the top of the flask is called a "strake."

The rods are probably forms for vents and risers.

The rest of them are "known only to those who are privy to the ancient mysteries of the foundry floor." It would be more fun to hear their use described by someone who has used them, rather than to look them up in a book.

The octagon is a real puzzler.

On Edit: The small rectangular pieces of wood might be for molding or even excavating runners in a gang mold using a single pattern.

John Ruth

Here's some Australian mould maker's tools, or German really as they were owned by a guy named Wolfgang who emigrated from Germany. Wolfie quit his foundry job in the 1980's to go work as a gardener on a resort island off the coast of Queensland. He gave them to a friend of mine who passed them to me. Of note, is that a lot of these tools were cast in brass from sand moulds made freehand without a pattern: apparently a good mould maker can turn up at a foundry and make his own tools on the first day.

191112d1487029859-mold-makers-tools-give-away-mould-making-tools.jpg

Attachments

• mould making tools.jpg
    mould making tools.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,218
Clodbusters post on simple tools has brought back to mind a poem by an old Scottish moulder called Alex Laurie The moulders union in Scotland published a little book of his work

He must have been thoroughly P****D off when he compiled the following poem---

For a crust and a shirt, He battled with dirt
And wealth to his nation he gave
They have not done him proud, His reward is a shroud
And he's rammed in a moulders grave.

Let's see how good I am. The seven cylindrical parts are sprue cutters, the next six tools are called spoons or slicks. The two with the formed ends may be or retrieving a bit of sand in the cavity or tamping a small area. I've not seen those before. Slicks are used to smooth over a surface of the mold, commonly when a gating system is cut in with the spoons. The next item, a pin, is for venting. The last looks to be a riffling tool.

Tom

Billyum, Tom, These are all wood tools. They're pretty basic, so much so that I almost didn't bother to offer them up here. Other than the back story and a little experience with casting I wouldn't have ID'd them as mold maker's tools.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other, nicer tools mixed in with these hunks of wood that got picked out over the years. Stuff like trowels and rifflers that have use in other work too.

In looking at this box full of random wood shapes I was reminded of a funny line about a blacksmith's shop, which if you've ever seen one - they're usually full to the brim with odd little one-off tools. "So what is this tool used for?" "Oh that? Well that's just a hunk of metal with a piece of wood stuck in it!"

Here's some Australian mould maker's tools, or German really as they were owned by a guy named Wolfgang who emigrated from Germany. Wolfie quit his foundry job in the 1980's to go work as a gardener on a resort island off the coast of Queensland. He gave them to a friend of mine who passed them to me. Of note, is that a lot of these tools were cast in brass from sand moulds made freehand without a pattern: apparently a good mould maker can turn up at a foundry and make his own tools on the first day.

191112d1487029859-mold-makers-tools-give-away-mould-making-tools.jpg

That is closer to what my grandfather's tools look like. The long straight bladed slick with the bend is identical to one I inherited. I think those were commercially made but one of my grandfather's appears to have been hand forged out of a brazing rod. Am I correct that the small oval on top is a "stamp" to make an impression in the sand to identify alloy, shift, molder, or whatever?

I'll have to dig them out and take photos when I get a chance.

That is closer to what my grandfather's tools look like. The long straight bladed slick with the bend is identical to one I inherited. I think those were commercially made but one of my grandfather's appears to have been hand forged out of a brazing rod. Am I correct that the small oval on top is a "stamp" to make an impression in the sand to identify alloy, shift, molder, or whatever?

I'll have to dig them out and take photos when I get a chance.

I'd only be guessing about the small oval: it's smooth and flat on the bottom so I assumed it was for tamping small spots.

Garrett & Sag,
I very much appreciated both the contributions you have started and subscribed to in this posting,And I wonder if I can add some further substance to the posting, When one handles some artifacts belonging to a long gone and deceased craftsman, it gives one a feelgood factor , that we have appreciated , and wondered as to how much of an impact, In fact what was the overall footprint on the history/culture/and advances to mankind he left posterity with.
It is good that you folks have kept and appreciated these artifacts and one hopes that you may be instrumental in saving them from the vandal hand of the Steampunk morons.

I sincerely trust the box of moulders tools which I have treasured for many years also means something to someone someday, Even if only as a few artifacts to puzzle over, The same goes for my engineering tools, Dealing first vwith Garratts "pieces of wood " Well it is a few relics from someone who worked in the Seattle area, The first thoughts going through my mind is What type of foundry was the said eastablishment and what was its product range, Marine, Logging machinery, or the Aircraft Industry, and why did the Seattle moulder wish to hang on to them, A link of fond memories to his past life when he retired , or moved away?

People nowadays frequently miss the point when studying past industries, This came home to me forcefully some time back when I went to a historical mining conference, and the organiser formed us all into "Individual Workshops" heaven help us, Talking shops with the ubiquitous sheets of paper which had to contain our thoughts at the end of the session, As can be imagined 90% of those attending were possibly born the year the last deep coalmine was demolished in the group into which I was placed had two folk with a mining background, Myself early on in my workin life, and another visitor who had spent some time in the environment of deep and highly mechanised collieries, During the subsequent discussion, I raised the point of including in our analysis & inclusion for further historical work the story of the small privately owned drift mines having say only approx. twenty employees, And the stories of the railway men who transported the coal and the numbers of coal merchants frequently a one man and horse outfit who carriied bags of coal on their backs to the mirids of homes in the inner cities of Scotland.

My other colleague in the group forcibly did not think this section of the coal story was worthy of inclusion, Well the small mine owners employed in this area a vast number of folk, and in some cases in past years with a degree of luck morphed into big concerns As to the humble coal merchants, many were the tales of great social interest was incorporated in that sphere, I could include a really nice old merchant near where i worked Mr Devanney brutally murdered for his hard earned money by a real rotter, These are the "small snippets" of history we may simply gloss over
I mention the mining input as a lesson on our past interpretation of past foundrymen and their few artifacts, Jobbing foundries may have not been as big a deal as say cotton spinning or car manufacturing , But The old Seattle moulders few sticks are important links in history, As well as being tactile articles.

Now to what we have in Garretts collection, Why the old fellow kept them heaven only knows, Maybe they had been in his toolkit from his apprenticeship days , Early offers of his first moulding tasks in the foundry and he had not the heart to discard them and they followed him through life
Looking at the illustration, from the left hand side, The round portion of rod with the split at the top is I am certain a runner bar for forming the downward channel to convey the molten metal from the runner box at the top of the mould to the mould cavity, this is rammed up in the sand and removed from the top part of the mould before lifting the said half mould off before the removal off the pattern The other vertical wood item look like a hexagon pattern , (As does the item lying flat two down from the first vertical wood item) This makes me think the moulder was a brass moulder and the hex items were for the manufacture of small runs of bar to make special bronze nuts or bolts , Maybe a marine repair item?

The two flat rectangular wood items may very well be "runner bars" our man could have been using these as a gating system in his mould from which small mould cavities fed off , Like my past life Mass production using the simplest of equipmen.
The others I think are a mixture of little runner or riser bars or round pieces of wood to form round stock for the machine shop quickly and economically,

Now to old Wolfie, I guess I would like to have met both these guys for a pint, and with the tall tales we might have had the lights in the bar swinging themselve's!

By the look of his few remaining tools I am certain he was like me a Brass Moulder, In his native land he would be referred to as a Mould Maker, Taking Sags phot from left to right we have what looks to me like seven brass tubes? If so that is a dead givaway that Wolfie was employed in the manufacture of greensand moulds in a brass foundry, Brass moulders when engaged on small casting work,do not use wooden formers to form the mould downgate, But force a brass tube through the sand on the top half of the mould,
I still have my brass tubes after many years, When one forces the tube down throgh the sand,one is left with a plug of sand inside the tube, The removal of which consists a light tap against ones left heel followed by a deft flick of the tube, and Hey presto The slug of sand ends up back in yor "Sand Tub upon which youb work every time
Every one asks How do you know where to punch your tube through without coming down on one of your little patterns, Answer Instinct, One has a mental picture of the interior of the mould where every little pattern is !

Again from the right side of the tubes we have his Boss tool , In Scotland called a trickie, The top end of this tool is for smoothing the bottom off deep circular mould sections, The round curved section is for dressin the side of flange edges in the mould The next tool is a curved and leaf shaped gate knife, If it is as I think it is somewhat longer than its British equivelant where it is called a Heart & Square, Above it is an Egg sleeker, for polishing up belly shapes in the mould

Next to the the Leaf Shaped tool is long pattern Boss tool This is the same as the British equivelent This is followed in line bythree assorted little spoon tools , Then we have a little rappiing spike for removing small pattern from the mould, Followed next by a little flange bead tool, Missing is his trowel, I wouls surmise Wolfie took it with him to the Garden's in which he worked or else passed it on to another moulder.

Missing is his trowel, I would surmise Wolfie took it with him to the Garden's in which he worked or else passed it on to another moulder.

Mac, his trowels are still in active use today, although getting worn thin now: they look like an artist's palette knives and are used to carve resin bonded silica sand moulds to add venting and smooth runners. I ended up passing Wolfie's tools to another person who was beginning green sand casting. I'm in the process of setting up for making resin sand moulds as it is easier than green sand (less fragile and doesn't need cope and drag flasks), so the tools were not needed by me.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the tool's functions, I was scrolling between the photo and text as I read your descriptions.

Hello again guys,

When I mentioned forcing ones metal tube through the sand to form the downgating system through which flows the molten metal I was thinking for a moment on the system I used at one time in my work life when I was making moulds of a small hand operated squeeze moulding machine in which I was using a system where my patterns were affixed to a plate

In my general run of work in Monday morning one rammed up a dummy half mould called an oddside, In to this hard rammed mould half,I used to affix in the appropriate places my patterns, and runner bar, In the work I was engaged on, In some instances there were up to a dozen little patterns, ( which were all cast at once. The moulding boz was about 12" square Each half 4&1/2" deep), At the end of the runner bar I touched the sand with my runner tube, This gave a mark for forcing through ones runner tube after the moulds were seperated and one was ready to withdraw ones patterns prior to closing & casting. After this stage one was ready for ones production cycle, The oddside or dummy top half mould held the little patterns in their correct position for ramming
my patterns were in a lot of instances ,Solid without being split , So therefore one had to sink them into the Oddside, Think on it as a jig or fixture on which the bottom half mould was rammed.
After ramming the bottom half mould was rammed up, the whole lot was turned over on a bottom boardand the oddside was lifted off carefully and put to the oneside, on its bottom board for use in the next mould production With care it would last the whole week.

The interesting thing is the little circle made by the tube was replicated every time on the mould facesurface of the top half,
using this simple system one had a most regular moulding procedure, Starting at 8 a.m. one could have twelve moulds processed by 11 am. Mass production with the human frame.
Still it was fun, and I would imagine old Wolfie & the other soul in Seattle +me would have had a contemptuous regard for todays smelly & unpleasant Chemically bonded sand.

I have a very interesting 1899 tool catalog from Cutter,Wood and Stevens, out of Boston.
Here is their listing of Monk's Moulder's Solid Steel Tools.
Keep clicking the image to enlarge it.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 219

Back