What's new
What's new

Monarch 612 28x120 Finally in Shop

Mumf

Aluminum
Finally got it in my shop. This was from 'Collector' in Vancouver BC. Now on my shop in Ontario. Thanks to a few mbrs here: 'Chriss999', 'Luck7', and 'Rob F', as well as 'collector'. Now to work on the electrical set up. I said i would post some pictures last March when it was shipped- had it in interim storage until last wk. Here they are (yes poor light-my 12 year old son's camera!):

Mumf

SUNP0100.jpgSUNP0101.jpgSUNP0102.jpg

It is indeed an impressive machine. I for one would like to see any pictures of you rigging it to get it where it is... Jim

Good to see the big girl again!

And nice that she still has the Carr’s Machining sticker ;-)

Is that a hydraulic table DoAll?

Lucky7

Hi Collector here nice to see you got the lathe set up. Just a note when you start the spindle with the hand lever on the machine or the carriage listen that the brake is not dragging. There’s a sweet spot when pushing the lever down. If you slam it down I think thats when it drags. Oh once the motors are running it’s good to go as it’s a clutch machine. Make sure the hydraulic pump is running the right direction or it won’t run.
Collector

Hi Collector here nice to see you got the lathe set up. Just a note when you start the spindle with the hand lever on the machine or the carriage listen that the brake is not dragging. There’s a sweet spot when pushing the lever down. If you slam it down I think thats when it drags. Oh once the motors are running it’s good to go as it’s a clutch machine. Make sure the hydraulic pump is running the right direction or it won’t run.
Collector

tks collector. I posted in the monarch forum. I may have to use a soft start to keep my amps down. That would mean i would start the main motor only and once it is going switch to all original wiring/functions. So, it seems i would have to over ride the sensor you mention on the hydraulic pump. My main concern would be if i would hurt the bearings with a short start up time before switching to all functions- ie engaging the hydraulic pump, etc. thoughts?

Mumf

Just to clarify the above. I have a 20 hp phase convertor i am looking at adding a 15 hp motor to. This to help generate more amps for the 25HP monarch motor. To help keep the amps lower on start up, i am looking at a soft starter. This to start the main mtr and then switch to the original set up to run all the original functions- including the hydraulic pump. I have a lot to cfm with the electronics and it will be a while, but this is the option i think will be best for me. I have looked at VFD, bigger phase convertors etc.
Mumf

tks collector. I posted in the monarch forum. I may have to use a soft start to keep my amps down. That would mean i would start the main motor only and once it is going switch to all original wiring/functions. So, it seems i would have to over ride the sensor you mention on the hydraulic pump. My main concern would be if i would hurt the bearings with a short start up time before switching to all functions- ie engaging the hydraulic pump, etc. thoughts?

Mumf

No gain. Don't make a problem out of a solution the OEM already sorted. Leave the sensor as-is. Do the opposite. Start the pump first if it doesn't already JF doo that.

Once running, it ADDS to RPC stability and the inertia "pool" rather than loading it down as you start the main final-drive motor.

You probably won't need anything special as to "soft start", either.

Certainly not if you bring a 15 HP supplementary idler online after starting a 20 HP idler. With 35 HP worth of idler active, plus another small boost from the pump, the 25 HP load-motor should just come wide-awake nearly as fast as if on the Powerco grid.

Starting load is vicious, but VERY brief.

tks Thermite, sounds like a plan. I am also concerned about my total amp draw on start up. Just before the lathe I will have a 30KVA transformer that the start up amps will max out. Also my panel is 200 amp, so start up will max it out- not sure if the very brief time frame would be an issue for either of these- hence why I was thinking soft start- if i do not need it would save me cash.....

tks Thermite, sounds like a plan. I am also concerned about my total amp draw on start up. Just before the lathe I will have a 30KVA transformer that the start up amps will max out. Also my panel is 200 amp, so start up will max it out- not sure if the very brief time frame would be an issue for either of these- hence why I was thinking soft start- if i do not need it would save me cash.....

A transformer is a lumped inductance.

So is a "choke".

The Iron and Copper don't actually give much of a damn about the distinction nor whether they have one winding or several.

Saturation is saturation at wotever it is for the construction, etc.

Rule of thumb, even though a KVA is LESS than one HP, erg-wise, is to use a transformer of twice the KVA as load HP.

That way, it does NOT significantly limit what the load can grab for peak power.
Anything much less? Expect some limiting. Mind.... dropping a 50 KVA transformer across the line has a "starting current" of its own!

Your 35 KVA should be just about right, though.

Among other things, your transformer IS your "soft start".

My one is 27 KVA, FWIW... But my largest "running" load is a tad under 10 HP, fully loaded.

OTOH, NONE of my machines have a mechanical clutch to de-couple the rest of their powertrain at start.

Keep in mind that the current-rating is the "sustained" figure. Heat-rise determined, mostly

Short-term peak is determined largely by saturation.

I think you are in good shape, so far. Conserve yer cash. Wait, try it, then see if you need more "stuff" or not.

:)

A transformer is a lumped inductance.

So is a "choke".

The Iron and Copper don't actually give much of a damn about the distinction nor whether they have one winding or several.

Saturation is saturation at wotever it is for the construction, etc.

Rule of thumb, even though a KVA is LESS than one HP, erg-wise, is to use a transformer of twice the KVA as load HP.

That way, it does NOT significantly limit what the load can grab for peak power.
Anything much less? Expect some limiting. Mind.... dropping a 50 KVA transformer across the line has a "starting current" of its own!

Your 35 KVA should be just about right, though.

Among other things, your transformer IS your "soft start".

My one is 27 KVA, FWIW... But my largest "running" load is a tad under 10 HP, fully loaded.

OTOH, NONE of my machines have a mechanical clutch to de-couple the rest of their powertrain at start.

Keep in mind that the current-rating is the "sustained" figure. Heat-rise determined, mostly

Short-term peak is determined largely by saturation.

I think you are in good shape, so far. Conserve yer cash. Wait, try it, then see if you need more "stuff" or not.

:)

tks Thermite. I will give it a go. I will post results, but it will likely be many months.

Back