What's new
What's new

Monarch late on NJ Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie_obe

Diamond
Monarch lathe on NJ Craigslist

Not mine. I did see the machine when I went to the auction preview for Premier Die Casting in Avenel, NJ.

Monarch Engine Lathe - business/commercial - by owner - sale
Link for additional images: LOT LISTING

Machine either did not sell or buyer balked at the loading fee. If interested, might have to act quickly as they have to be out of the building. Rigger is/was onsite.

Last edited:
Looks like a 12ck. That with a spindle speed increase mod would be amazing in my shop, why can't stuff like this come up in Washington? I'd already be halfway home with it...

Wow. What a deal for someone that just wants a cheap lathe for repair work. Ton of tooling too as far as chucks and other extras. Lots of times that stuff can end up costing you more than the used machine did.

Its a 1945 14aa
30" between centers.
I've been sitting on my hands trying to resist the urge to contact the owner and have a look-see.
I don't need this machine.
But I'm not sure about that.

Its slightly larger brethren

And that impressive stuff on the back of the one in the OP's photos is the Ball Bearing taper attachment

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 82
  • scan 03.jpg
    scan 03.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 71
Its a 1945 14aa
30" between centers.
I've been sitting on my hands trying to resist the urge to contact the owner and have a look-see.

You do need it, and will kick yourself for years if you don't get it. Every job that would have been easier on that machine will haunt the memory that you cold have had it...but didn't.

I emailed him. I asked him about the loading dock, fees and forkift situation.
It cant hurt just to look, right?
Apparently, one of those recurring voices in my head sounds a lot like Plastikdreams.

I emailed him. I asked him about the loading dock, fees and forkift situation.
It cant hurt just to look, right?
Apparently, one of those recurring voices in my head sounds a lot like Plastikdreams.

Yeah buddy, you have a need and this machine will fill it. Good on you for being proactive!

:D

Friday, Nov 29, might very well be the last day to save the Monarch or anything else left in the shop. Can't image the owner wanting to pay another months rent now that the family die casting business has gone down the toilet. Or more correctly, gone over to china.

I didn't get a response to my email. I wasn't expecting one until early next week anyway due to the holiday.
I suppose I could go down there on Monday on the off-chance the place is still open..

Its a 1945 14aa
30" between centers.

You are one of the few close enough to have at least the chance of saving it.. and if need be .. selling it-on. Or selling-on whatever it replaces.

Got me a 14" X 30" arredy*, and WITH the carbide-range RPM's. Also essentially out of SPACE, so I surely ain't he.

* Mind, this'n should "clear" 16" or a bit more over the ways, HS side of the carriage. My Metric puppy ain't as lucky.

You could have: called the auctioneer; called Premier Die Casting; driven down Friday; PM'd me for the auction site rep cell phone number.
If you were serious....
But I've become so accustomed to members here not giving a sh!t or espousing a litany of excuses for not saving or even helping to save a machine, that I rarely ever post about the stuff I come across. There is a Van Norman 12 going to scrap in New Brunswick next week. Who cares?

This is why AMHG and STOIC disappeared. [rant over]

You could have: called the auctioneer; called Premier Die Casting; driven down Friday; PM'd me for the auction site rep cell phone number.
If you were serious....
But I've become so accustomed to members here not giving a sh!t or exposing a litany of excuses for not saving or even helping to save a machine, that I rarely ever post about the stuff I come across. There is a Van Norman 12 going to scrap in New Brunswick next week. Who cares?

This is why AMHG and STOIC disappeared. [rant over]

Ahh.. to be fair? More to life than rushing hither and yon to "save" 'em as over-weight art-deco charm-bracelet trinket reminders of times gone by.

CNC took up the workload ages ago, and folks have bills to pay, too.

Are you and I any different? Some have paid time off, what's their excuse?

LOL! I'm SO seriously "out of space" moving one-each Phase-Perfect, one-each 10EE MG and one-each 10EE motor to other hands as can USE them has been crucial to seeing if I still had a concrete floor in the space or it had turned to lava rock, last local Earthquake!

Then again? Drew my last paycheck August of..'94 ISTR?

Been "play" of one kind or another ever since, big money or not-so-much.

Other folk got kids, mortgages, car payments, Doctor bills, and sech I do not have.

It ain't an EXCUSE to "not do" as rules. Got that bass-ackwards. No such of a law.

It is the means and the MOTIVATION "to do" that git's 'er done.

IF AS WHEN

ELSE NOT

"Old Iron" may be a disease. But it ain't YET a RELIGION.

Still workin' on that last part, are we, Monseigneur?

:)

LOL! I'm SO seriously "out of space" moving one-each Phase-Perfect, one-each 10EE MG and one-each 10EE motor to other hands as can USE them has been crucial to seeing if I still had a concrete floor in the space or it had turned to lava rock, last local Earthquake!

Then again? Drew my last paycheck August of..'94 ISTR?

Been "play" of one kind or another ever since, big money or not-so-much.

Other folk got kids, mortgages, car payments, Doctor bills, and sech I do not have.

It ain't an EXCUSE to "not do" as rules. Got that bass-ackwards. No such of a law.

It is the means and the MOTIVATION "to do" that git's 'er done.

IF AS WHEN

ELSE NOT

"Old Iron" may be a disease. But it ain't YET a RELIGION.

Still workin' on that last part, are we, Monseigneur?

:)

No, not a religion or a disease, just a desire. Things you mention kids, car payments, etc., mere obstacles to overcome, if you are motivated to fulfill your desire. Strapped for cash? Maybe a p.t. second job? If you're already working as many hours as possible, I sincerely hope your "better half" isn't sitting on the couch eating BonBons while you work yourself to death so she can get her nails done while you're eating a baloney sandwich for lunch.

I'm done, last machine I'll ever mention. Last Monarch or whatever lathe I mentioned going for scrap price, I got jumped on because it lived in a heavy wear inducing environment. Even at pennies per pound, just to scavenge for parts, no one could see the value.

No, not a religion or a disease, just a desire. Things you mention kids, car payments, etc., mere obstacles to overcome, if you are motivated to fulfill your desire. Strapped for cash? Maybe a p.t. second job? If you're already working as many hours as possible, I sincerely hope your "better half" isn't sitting on the couch eating BonBons while you work yourself to death so she can get her nails done while you're eating a baloney sandwich for lunch.

Well... prolly ran on 3 hr or so of sleep 45 outta my first fifty year, always doing at least two things at once

Hadn't yet met her, but my wife of NOW thirty year was doin' the same.

Both retired from revenue-ish work by age fifty. She'd made - and KEPT, then grew - a lot more money than I had done.

"Bon Bon?" No. But she'll fly herself and her 90 yer old Mum just about anywhere on-planet that Fred Cheng gives a concert. Or there's golf course she ain't yet played, a mountain not yet climbed, a river not yet rafted, fish not yet caught...

Old Iron is but one interest of many for me, shock and horror for her she looks inta the shop, sorta stunned, daren't git past the doorway.

First told her it was OK.

Kept me outta pubs and brothels.

Wrong thing to say to a brilliant wife-mind, dual-major at university, Seniour Executive. Very.

Next try?

"So. Tell me. When and where WERE you in pubs and brothels before you HAD all this greasy old junk?"

Can't win.... Have managed to stay married, this go. I'm good with that. Very.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back