What's new
What's new

Monarch Model AA (?)

Bologna

Plastic
I'm not a machinist, just a hobbyist who likes old tools and sometimes spontaneously buys things when the price is too low to pass up. I bought a Monarch lathe the other day for $50 out of someone's garage and figured I had nothing to lose. I think it's a Model AA, but if someone knows otherwise please correct me. There's no nameplate aside from the feed speeds and an JL Osborne Machy & Tools plate. I believe it's a 16" swing.

There is gunk on the ways like surface rust combined with old cutting oil that's turned to grease, but after cleaning off the right side where the serial number is supposed to be, it says, "Lot 299 Mach 8". The reason of my post: can anyone decifer this for me? I think Lot 299 is the serial number which I think makes this lathe really old, but I don't know what Mach 8 means.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 205
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 256
Pictures are too small to see..........

When machines were made in batches, they often gave lot numbers and machine numbers within the lot. I would think that was "machine #8 in lot 299".

I know! There's a 19.5kb limit on picture size so I'm not sure how to make them bigger?

Look at that again - 97.7 KB for jpg - plus the system automatically resizes larger to be around that limit.

Example thumbnail resized from 655 Kb to 95.5

Attachments

• Hendey 20 18 16 1901.jpg
    Hendey 20 18 16 1901.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 123
Ah hah! Ok let me try this again. Are these pictures better?

Attachments

• PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 262
  • PIC1.jpg
    PIC1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 207
I can at least see the antique shift levers - and AMAZINGLY - the ball bearing taper attachment - which I will suppose came from a later machine

Appears to have the lift-off covers over spindle bearings, indicating plain (bronze or Babbitt-style versions) spindle bearings

No doubt has threaded spindle nose

Basically the first of the helical geared head stocks, but no anti friction spindle bearings, standardized spindle nose or hardened and ground bed ways - all of which were in the future.

There are older Monarch gear heads, with non helical gearing and shift levers in a tight cluster

Earliest non-lot-number serial appears in the serial book for 1927, making your lathe older than that

Related set up pub from about 1930 - thanks to John Legge and Greg Menke

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/monarch/monarch-modelc-setup-bulletin-127-1930.pdf

Thanks. Can you confirm that it's a Model AA? Also do you happen to know if I'm able to look up this serial number/lot number to get the year or info on it?

Thanks. Can you confirm that it's a Model AA? Also do you happen to know if I'm able to look up this serial number/lot number to get the year or info on it?

No to both. You could try calling Monarch, but they likely won't know much about their nearly 95 year old products

No, I don't know the phone number - or even if they still refer to themselves as Monarch Machine

Lots of info here, but nothing from that far back. The 12" AA pub is a far more modern design

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Here is as close as you will get, but undated. The "ball bearing" refers to primary shafting, not spindle bearings. No model designation like "AA"

A close look at the aprons in this brochure show that it predates the modern apron clutches introduced in May of 1925

The old "star knob" apron clutches are shown

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/17383.pdf

Last edited:
Amazing but apparently the case. Link in Post #11 shows both the 14 and 16" having 3 X 5 front spindle bearing and 2 3/4-6 spindle nose thread

Thumbnail shows these to ALSO be used on 18 and 20" machines

Attachments

• Monarch Cone Spindle Partial.jpg
    Monarch Cone Spindle Partial.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
No, It doesn't, That is my brochure that I scanned for the website. Comparing the brochure to my machine they are the same. Mine does not have any plates on it that I can find other than the speed/feed for threads. I found another machine like mine on a website( forgot where) that showed it an AA looking like mine and Bologna's. Mine came from the N&W Railroad shops. Mine also has the same base as the Brochure.

Ben

Back