What's new
What's new

Monarch model E spindle help needed

CB_Cyclone

Plastic
Monarch bearing cap.jpg

I’ve searched all over, and cannot find a torque specification for the bearing caps on my Monarch model E. It is a cone lathe with split bronze bushings. Anyone have any info on these? Thank you.

Last edited:
torque specification

Never had such. No torque wrenches at Monarch

Not an automobile, its a machine tool - not that automobiles had such specifications THEN either

Telling photo from twenties is Thumbnail. That's Harry A. Miller in one of his Los Angeles shops - with one of his Indy DOMINATING straight eights he built from scratch. See any torque wrenches?:D

Attachments

• SOL_Harry-Miller.jpg
    SOL_Harry-Miller.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 87
Was wondering if there should be oil grooves in both the lower half bearing and more grooves in the upper half, instead of just the one running over the top.

763264D9-E846-49E5-B746-0C58B42B6B4F.jpg

Was wondering if there should be oil grooves in both the lower half bearing and more grooves in the upper half, instead of just the one running over the top.

View attachment 249876

No one likes a good engineering modification better than i do but...

The designers of these machines knew what they were doing.

Please don't take offense to this but if I am highly skeptical of any design change made by anyone other that the original designer.

Their may be a very good reason there is only one oil groove. I can IMAGINE that the one groove is there to distribute the oil axially along the bearing and then the combination of rotation, clearance and surface tension keeps the oil properly distributed around the bearing. I can also IMAGINE a second groove breaking up the flow of oil and hurting not helping.

Again, the people that designed these machines were the best engineers of their day and it showed. I would highly reluctant to second guess them.

Back