What's new
What's new

Monarch or Sheldon?

Quade

Aluminum
Guy on Ebay claims this is a Monarch. The cabinet says Sheldon. Any idea what it really is? I couldn't find this specific machine on lathes.uk.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

yes, Sheldon/Sebastion....I believe there is a *bit* of lineage commonality between Sheldon/Sebastian/Monarch/Sidney etc...not surprising since all the same area but it's not a Monarch..,.its a Sheldon.

It's Sheldon...made after Sheldon acquired Sebastian.

i believe this one is the 15"...can't get the link for it to load.

EDIT- pg. 12 of projectnut's link.

I have to agree, it is a dead ringer for the 3R shown is post 6 above. What I don't understand is the oil sight lens in the headstock. Those lathes were belt driven, with direct coupled motor/transmission in the base. Which by the way if the OP is planning on buying the lathe in question and it does have the transmission in the base, there are no repair parts available.

Tom

Good sleuthing. Thanks.

Which by the way if the OP is planning on buying the lathe in question and it does have the transmission in the base, there are no repair parts available.

I'm always interested in local lathes. My guess on this one is that it'll eventually be sent to scrap because his pricing is pretty high. It looks to be in pretty beat shape. The skid marks and straps suggest it was dragging into this crate or container.

I've learned my lesson from my Hardinge. My next lathe will have real bearings in the HS and hopefully some parts availability.

24" x 3" MONARCH Series 6 Geared Head Engine Lathe | eBay

Here's the link.

I have to agree, it is a dead ringer for the 3R shown is post 6 above. What I don't understand is the oil sight lens in the headstock. Those lathes were belt driven, with direct coupled motor/transmission in the base. Which by the way if the OP is planning on buying the lathe in question and it does have the transmission in the base, there are no repair parts available.

Tom

My R 15 Sheldon, the same model as Ray Behner's with the spindle 1" higher, has an oil filled headstock. It is driven by two Vee belts on a separate spindle that drives the main one with dogs, the purpose being to remove side load from the belts from the spindle bearings. The small lever at the right top of the headstock is the back gear engagement. Ray's and mine have entirely different feed gear boxes, but the whole thing looks very Sheldonesque. I also have a Monarch 10EE and this lathe has no relation to it other than overall being a lathe.

Bill

I have one exactly like this one. It is a early Sheldon R15 lathe, belt drive in the base. I don't see a gear shift lever, so it is equipped with a four step sheaves to get you eight speeds coming out of the head stock. I don't see a taper attachment. It had the same setup as the older model Sheldon Sebastian lathe has for the QCGB, bed, carriage, and tail stock.

If the owner needs anything for that lathe, join the Sheldon Lathe group and Sheldon Lathe II group over on Yahoo and I have lots of stuff posted for anyone's needs for either one of these lathes.

Ken

Back