What's new
What's new

Monarch Vice monolithic jaws

Inkman

Plastic
I recently purchased an old Monarch 4" vice, very old no major damage except for the typical dents and dings.

I have fully dissasembled and de-rusted, currently I am stuck on the jaws. The jaws show no way of how they are attached to the cast iron. You can see the seams but there is no fasteners anywhere. I am left to assume the jaws are press fit into place with pins. Amazing tho considering the absolutely perfect seams showing. Does anyone here have any information on how they are fixed and if it is wise to try and remove them, I hope to remove and replace them since there was a lot of braze material on them that I need to grind off.

As for the history of the vise, its a difficult brand to gather any info on. I do know they are a brand made by Prentiss, I know that Parker Co bought Prentiss at one point and Parker is here in my home town which might explain the abundance of prentiss and bull dog vises around here. There is stamped on the movable jaw inside the casting 22 2 41, looks like a date format but not exactly positive about that.

Any info would be great TIA!

20190326_1145021.jpg2.jpg

I wonder if they were cast in place. I have a very vague memory that says Monarch was a "budget" line for Prentiss... maybe they cut costs by casting-in the jaw inserts.

Andy

I wonder if they were cast in place. I have a very vague memory that says Monarch was a "budget" line for Prentiss... maybe they cut costs by casting-in the jaw inserts.

Andy

Good point, that explains why the diamond pattern isin both the steel and the cast. I guess I will just have to leave it, I don't have any way to make those patterns so I will make them smooth jaws.

Back