What's new
What's new

Mondiale Delta Hero Milling Machine

ppdebo

Plastic
I just bought a second hand Mondiale Delta Hero milling. I managed to translate most of the Mainteance and Operation Manual from French into English. I can send it to anyone interested. I would also welcome any comments or remarks about this machine. Unfortunately I am missing the arbor supprt.s-l160002.jpg

Handy looking tool, and it looks to be in fair nick, 30 taper as well?

FYI there was a Mondiale in Belguim who made lathes http://www.lathes.co.uk/mondiale/ and from what I can make out you mill has the same (ish) logo on the base door.

Yes the lathes have got the same :Mondiale: logo but unfortunately there is no mention of any Delta Hero Milling machines in the lathes.co.uk site. The table does rotate by undoing 4 screws but it has to be turned manually. For any 'drill-flute type' milling operations, the table turn has to be somehow mechanically synchronised with table height movement. So presumeably, this table turning capability is a way of using a fixed machine vice and you turn the table instead of turning the vice. So to align the machine, apart from the vertical head alignment, you would need to do also a table alignment check.
The vertical head is an accessory according to the manual, but it is quite versatile since it can be rotated about two axis. It does not have a quill. It was mainly intended as a horizantal milling machine but it is universal in some ways.
I just had it for a couple of weeks so still getting used to it. It seems good enough for my type of hobby work. I got it over from the UK, but it was in service in Belgium and in Switzerland, so it did travel a lot. No idea about the date of manufacture.

Thanks for the tip.
I managed to find a photograph in the French forum which gives me a better idea of what the original looked like, even though the arbor support is not shown.
Mine is also missing the coolant pump but that is trivial to install.
I will first do an NT30 arbor for holding gear cutters or circular cutting discs and then maybe I will do the arbor support myself. That should be an interesting project for me.
A certain Anton Cech also had posted (29/04/2014) some photos on this UK forum.

The arbor would be something similar to the image posted here.

Regards to all.

DSC01101.jpg
CIMG2728.jpgArbor Support 01.jpg

Well, well, well... This was mine up until 3 years ago. I had it for 20 years. I never had the arbour support either. Good to see it again.

It is my first ever milling machine and enjoying it a lot for my hobby. Mainly making additional tools for the lathe and simple motor cycle parts.

Had to do some motor re-wiring as the connections had become loose at the motor end (crimped wires were not tight enough and became loose). Fitted also a coolant pump (motor vehicle fuel pump).

Maybe will do an arbor support some time, if I find that I would be using it in the 'horizontal milling' mode a lot.

Wish it had a quill on the vertical/rotating milling head, but then it would be asking too much! With the vertical milling attachment, the clearance between the vertical chuck and the table top is not that great :(

Would appreciate any tips or suggestions seeing that you had it for such a long time.

Searching user manual

I'm searching for the user manual of the Delta Hero milling machine.
Furthermore would like to know the weight of this machine.

I have Arbor Support for this machine to sell.

Hey Paul,
I've got the exact same machine, here in Belgium. I am looking for a manual for it.
Could you please send me a copy.
Also, if you want I can send you detailed photos of the support. Also possible to take measurements if needed.
Thanks inadvance!

I sent you a private message regarding the Delta Hero manual.
Regards

Paul Debono

Arbor Support for Mondiale Delta Hero Milling Machine

I did my own arbor support last year, by welding pieces of mild steel bars and then shaping to the correct size by means of homemade cutting say and then some milling.
Still needs some final finishing but that can wait :).
Will try and post some photos.

Attachments

• ArborSupport1.jpg
    ArborSupport1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 123
  • ArborSupport2.jpg
    ArborSupport2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 99
  • ArborSupport3.jpg
    ArborSupport3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 95
  • ArborSupport4.jpg
    ArborSupport4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 99
  • ArborSupport5.jpg
    ArborSupport5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There seems to be a problem with uploading files/images. Any suggestions on how to solve the problem are much appreciated.

I am also thinking of increasing the distance/clearance between the chuck (or collet) and the table face when using the vertical head attachment. Since the vertical attachment is rather bulky, it reduces the clearance between the cutting bit tip and the tabletop face. I was thinking of adding a 100mm spacer (iron channel) on both sides between the top part of the machine and its base, just above the tray. However, when the knee is fully down, it will not be completely locked into the gibs if I do this 100mm height extension. This Delta machine was primarily a horizontal mill.

I have to think well about this before doing it. I also need to find a way to lift the machine!

The red circle in the attached picture is where I intend to insert the 100mm x 50mm box channel in order to increase the head height.

Attachments

• Chuck-Table-Height.jpg
    Chuck-Table-Height.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Since I am having problems with uploading stuff on the forum, anyone needing the Delta Hero User's manual can email directly at [email protected]

I am also posting this just in case anyone that showed interest in the manual is not getting my private messages.

The problem seems to be with the type of browser that one uses. Images did not upload with Google Chrome, but I managed to do it using Microsoft Edge. So I re-visited my previous posts and added the images with MS Edge without any problems.

Regards
Paul

The manual for the Mondiale Delta Hero Universal Milling Machine, which I translated from the original French version, can be downloaded from here:-

Publications - Paul Debono

I would be more than pleased to receive any corrections for any spelling or other mistakes which you may find. You can email your suggestions directly to me at [email protected]

Regards to all.
Paul

I am also thinking of increasing the distance/clearance between the chuck (or collet) and the table face when using the vertical head attachment. Since the vertical attachment is rather bulky, it reduces the clearance between the cutting bit tip and the tabletop face. I was thinking of adding a 100mm spacer (iron channel) on both sides between the top part of the machine and its base, just above the tray. However, when the knee is fully down, it will not be completely locked into the gibs if I do this 100mm height extension. This Delta machine was primarily a horizontal mill.

I have to think well about this before doing it. I also need to find a way to lift the machine!

The red circle in the attached picture is where I intend to insert the 100mm x 50mm box channel in order to increase the head height.

I'd recommend NOT. First, it is a LOT of work for too little gain.

As you noted, there IS NO GAIN ... until you start running the whole knee down off its ways!

You can gain more and lift FAR less mass if you scout a second vertical head, and then...

Mount it to the END of the existing dovetail ram. So it's bulk is way higher up.

It would have to be independently powered rather than picking up off the horizontal spindle for motation, but that is easy, as all you are running is electrical wire, not hard - as-in running shafts, belts, or gears.

Classical Dalrae, Rusnock, BirdPort and similar heads were used this way.

Chicom air or water cooled very high speed spindles with integral ER collets are available nowadys.

In-between were Porter-Cable router heads.

A few bucks worth of decent bearings in almost "don't care" size, and other PM members have fabbed their vertical heads from "scratch", too.

NB: "Horizontal" milling can be righteous. Don't be afraid to tool it and utilize it!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
I thought that it would not be so 'professional', and probably dangerous to run the knee the whole way down, halfway off its ways.
Will stay on the lookout for a second-hand self-powered vertical head to be mounted on the dovetail ram.
Regards.
Paul

Back