What's new
What's new

Montgomery Ward 54TLC-2130

jandrews160

Plastic
I inherited this lathe and haven’t used it in the 10 years that I’ve had it and it’s taking up room in my garage so I’m considering selling it. I’ve never worked on a lathe so I don’t know much about them. Any information or insight about this model would be helpful. Also what do people pay for something this? The lathe seems to be in good condition. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_7428.jpg
    IMG_7428.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_7431.jpg
    IMG_7431.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_7437.jpg
    IMG_7437.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_7438.jpg
    IMG_7438.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_7439.jpg
    IMG_7439.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 425
Where are you located? A lot of times that has more to do with with what you can get for it than anything else.
Can’t help you on the machine particulars, have you checked out the lathes.co.uk site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I indiana I would start at $1000 and be willing to come down to $750. Yours looks complete and little used. You do not have a quick change gear box but have a collet and closer set plus the vertical slide.

I inherited this lathe and haven’t used it in the 10 years that I’ve had it and it’s taking up room in my garage so I’m considering selling it. I’ve never worked on a lathe so I don’t know much about them. Any information or insight about this model would be helpful. Also what do people pay for something this? The lathe seems to be in good condition. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

Your plus is the very good (apparent) condition, the small size and light weight for easy transport and get-'er IN, and about as complete a collection of tooling as these little lathes can actually USE.

Your negatives are lack of QCGB - not that it actually MATTERS so long as you have the change-gear set, but folk who have-never and will-never single-point a thread will turn up their nose and look elsewhere.

About the only thing it doesn't do well that a comparable South Bend does is fetch a premium price! Figure about half of whatever SB's go for, your area.

Ten years held, another round of patience might see that $750 and a bit.

Rushed? Could be only $500. Or less.

2CW

I'm in Nashville. I haven't checked any other sites. I found the PM site and it seems like there is a lot of knowledgeable people here. Thanks for the information

I'm in Nashville. I haven't checked any other sites. I found the PM site and it seems like there is a lot of knowledgeable people here. Thanks for the information

Aye, but even we who be but "hobbyist" (or at least "NOW we are..") tend to mostly run far heavier recycled industrial Iron. Ex; A Leblond "Regal" just sold here a few days ago. Closer to our "average", I'd guess, though I'd class it a lightweight, meself. There are known Logans among us, too.

There's also a Logan user community Google will find (though ISTR it is on yahoo?), plus probably far more of them discussed in various hobby forums than here. ISTR Logan Actuator even still has some parts, if not most parts.

An hour's keyboarding, you should find lots of info.

Lokks well equipped, but I think may be short two or three change gears. There should be 17, IIRC)

Change gears ARE a pain, but they work, A QCGB is nicer, and the more threads you cut, and feed speeds you use, the nicer they are.

You have three good accessories (well, two plus one I personally am not fond of). You have a steady you have a collet setup. And there is a milling attachment (I don't care for them, but they can be useful for small stuff).

The machine has two chucks, plus a "dog driver" that can work as a faceplate. The $750 is a good area to expect to end up at, maybe $800 if your area is machine-short.

Half of what a Southbend goes for? I'd say more like 3/4, Logans are actually nicer in many ways, but few know that, the Southbend name is just well known.

Guess if mine in Detroit area I would ask $1200 and take down numbers to call back. iIt is a nice small lathes, Logan biuilt with the right goodies.

I have a lathe just like the one in pictures. I am looking for a feed rate chart. Any help would be appercaited

I have the feed gears. I am trying to find something like a feed rate chart so I can get different finish on turning parts.

I am looking for a chart that explains which gears to change to get different feed rates. I have a stack of gears that came with lathe but I don't which gears to change. I checked several sites but didn't find what I am looking for.

The manual has all that and more.

Have not been able to access the manual you are talking about.

Looks as if $25 provides that access?

Machine Manuals

Might want to email or phone Logan with your serial number and other markings FIRST - even refer them with a "link" to the photos you have posted HERE.. ...to make sure you buy the RIGHT $25 manual?

Or.. trade what you have for a Monarch 10EE, pay Monarch $75 for THEIR manual that will 'typically' save you $150. Or more. Usually a great DEAL 'more'.

"Information is power, ignorance is piss", etc.

Back