What's new
What's new

Please assist on 'dating' these presses....

Plastic
Hello!

First time poster, and recent machinist tool collector. I just purchased two presses (?) at an estate sale. One was marked as a rivet press and the other as a stamping press. I have googled for hours on the manufacturer's name plate and have come up empty. I am hoping someone on this forum can help identify what these were used for and perhaps the date these were manufactured. I couldn't resist purchasing these as each came with incredible patina, not to mention that everyone that walked by these, had to 'take them for a spin'. Those huge counter balances are hard to pass by. I think these would make great conversation pieces in any shop. Plus, I did not want these destroyed if no one purchased these.

One item is an A.R. KING MFG CO
MACHINERY AND TOOLS
KINGSTON, N,Y.

It was advertised as a rivet press. It appears to be missing a base plate.

The other item was a CASSIERE NO 2-A
MACHINERY CO
MACHINERY MOTORS
PROVIDENCE, R.I.

This also came with the ADAMS BRO'S PROVIDENCE, R.I. base. It appears that the 'pan' has the original green paint on it.press5.jpgpress4.jpgpress3.jpgpress1.jpgpress2.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I also like to collect Equipto cabinets, Wilton bullet vises and Baldor grinders/buffers!

Sorry if the pictures are out of order...

Both are fly presses, so you can search on that term and see a lot of hits.

Cassiere was selling dealer, not the makers. Adams is a maker. King might be the maker. The rule is, names cast into the iron are makers. Some added nameplates, especially the ones that have generic lists of products, might be dealers. A manufacturing company might be the maker.

Screw Presses << Gold International Machinery | The One Stop Shop for all of your Machinery, Equipment, Tool & Die Needs Gold has two Adams presses, a 2-1/2 and a 2, and one older (ca. 1880) with no name. Gold is known for high prices, but you could ask what they want for the Adams no. 2 just out of curiosity.

Larry

Last edited:
Many of these screw presses were used in jewelry manufacturing for coining and stamping. At one time, much of this business was located in Rhode Island.

Bruce

WOW!! I knew this was the right place!! Thank you to all for the quick responses and information, I appreciate it. In talking with a close friend of the gentlemen who had passed away recently, he did have a small 'foundry' and appeared to make jewelry. He also had another large building (that I am waiting to be invited into), that he restored 1930-40's Lincoln Continentals and may have reproduced some of the parts for these cars.

The price Gold has on ebay for that item is $1299.....

Hand Operated Fly/Screw Press, Adams Type #2 | eBay

There are actually 3 of these up for auction on ebay as of today, 2 by Gold and 1 by another seller. Each has a starting bid of $1300. I cannot find any completed sales, so I can only provide these as far as possible current value....for future reference.

Last edited:
Primarily used by blacksmiths in this day and age. Very good tools, you scored:cheers:
Keep the screw clean and oiled as well as the ram guides. You should probably pul the screw out of the ram and clean that socket and re lube it (with oil)

Back