What's new
What's new

More estate sale oddities

DeSelle

Cast Iron
Hi all,

Finally sifted through the rubble of the last estate sale haul and I have these two oddities that I am unsure of.

One is a small tube of what is labeled as pivot drills? The other two items are transfer punches but I have never seen any like these. I am unsure why they have all these threaded attachments inside them

What are these used for? Does anyone need something like these?

1710159A-512A-4AC8-90A4-BBFB63E3B2CF.jpg60FA6F04-327C-4594-85B1-D5E990C12BF6.jpg0E2F18F1-C0A1-4419-B9B5-A3CDC7BEF5F3.jpg8B6BDF60-266B-45B2-AE1B-027AA7EB18DF.jpg

Hi all,

Finally sifted through the rubble of the last estate sale haul and I have these two oddities that I am unsure of.

One is a small tube of what is labeled as pivot drills? The other two items are transfer punches but I have never seen any like these. I am unsure why they have all these threaded attachments inside them

View attachment 335275View attachment 335276View attachment 335277View attachment 335278

Those are transfer screws. We used them for mounting things on machine bases when the tapped holes are already there but you needed to mount a fixture to the table as well as other things. They're kind of the reverse of a transfer punch.

I already have a couple of sets of them but someone here will probably have a use for them.

I'm not familiar with pivot drills. Maybe they are used on pillar drills. (it's an inside joke)

Hi all,

View attachment 335275View attachment 335276View attachment 335277View attachment 335278

I could use the transfer screws!

Kevin

Those things come in super handy. We have several sizes/sets that get used when trying to custom mate assemblies without sending it all back to the machine shop, or when working with unknown dimensions, such as mounting a sub plate to a press that the mounting hole positioning might be a looser tolerance (or just random). True you could get some gauge pins and start measuring actual positions with dial calipers and large mics and do some trig to see exactly how out of square the hole pattern is.... or thread these little guys in and 'tap tap', you now have exact hole locations to take to the drill press, or at least as accurate as you'd expect using good threads for hole location.

Agree. I have made them out of gr8 threaded rod or and old bolt. Not a "lifetime tool" but for onetime use they get the job done.

Back