What's new
What's new

Museum of power nr maldon essex uk

pressbrake1

Stainless
On Sunday I dragged my girls to a museum that I have been passing for a couple of years but being work hours unable to pop in and visit.
Very poor pictures as one would expect from a phone camera thats been subjected to grinding dust. It was nice to see a lot of exhibits were made in Essex though saddening at the same time.
First item I was greeted with was a old but very well made lathe that they claimed was from the thirties though I doubt that ideaView attachment 237637

The museum is located at a pump house. The big triple expansion 300hp engine is still there. Its normally run on compressed air though several times a year they raise20180909_115028.jpg[ATTACH=

Attachments

• 20180909_115026.jpg
    20180909_115026.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 135
Like you, I've passed the sign to this museum a few times but never gone in, usually because if I'm in Essex I'm working. Looks like it would bw worth the effort to go in though. Thanks for the photos.

cool, i grew up in Basildon Essex as a kid in the 70's. Dad's parent lived in Maldon. I used to fish in the rv, probably the one that fed the pump house. Now i am about 5000 miles away in Canada.

Pressbrake, thanks for the photos.

If anyone does visit the museum, would you mind taking some photos of the Barnes Drill, please? I would like to see it from a few different points if possible.

Here is a photo I found somewhere on the internet, would appreciate some better shots.

This a fairly early version of an all-geared drilling machine, quite advanced for its time.

Attachments

• Barnes at museum of power essex 01.jpg
    Barnes at museum of power essex 01.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 93
These machines look terrific painted and polished. Were they kept that way when they were in everyday use?

Back