What's new
What's new

My 16" Leblond Lathe age?

MachininMama

Plastic
I recently purchased this lathe. It has been retrofitted with a electric motor. The front says 16 inch Leblond. I have read all I can find and I think it is around 1920. I cannot find any brass label plate on it to find a model number. I have looked on ways and cannot find a punched model number. Is there another spot I am missing that it may have a model number? Or anyone with info on if this is a Regal even though it does not say Regal anywhere on it. It does run but cross feed won't engage so I am trying to narrow down the date or model number so I can try and find a manual on it to repair the cross feed. I am very much inlove with it and would love to bring it back to original glory.
Kelsey

Attachments

• 20180328_172334.jpg
    20180328_172334.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 20180328_172343.jpg
    20180328_172343.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 247
Age ?
"Antique" territory fur sure.

And that's where you should have posted your question.

Looks like the Standard (not heavy duty)18" in the 1911 catalog.

Scan of catalog can be emailed if you want to Private Message that address with Le Blond in the subject line

No manuals - was not being done by them in those times

Thumbnail shows that page

Attachments

• 18 LB Std 1911.jpg
    18 LB Std 1911.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 275
I would keep looking on the right end between the ways. (Usually behind the first way.) The serial number should be there.

I have found SN in various places on especially older lathes. Not only on the top rear but on the sides of the (tailstock side) ways. One lathe had the SN on the back of the vertical way section. I also seen it on the very end vertical machines area. I can't remember the lathe but it had a raised section of the bed below the ways machined flat and SN stamped. I would think John's date is about right. 1920's the lathes were being made in the constant velocity version, that style had a single diameter flat belt pulley and a means of changing speed on the lathe including a clutch.

Back