What's new
What's new

My Hendey lathe s/n 34095 - pictures

jerholz

Cast Iron
I've been mostly lurking on this forum for several years now, and I guess I'm overdue for sharing pictures of my Hendey. I'm not much of a machinist; I got this in support of my aviation habit, and for something to learn on. I've had it for probably 25 years. I don't know much about it's history. The individual I bought it from apparently just purchased it to resell. Of course, it had issues. Turned out, the shaft under the headstock that holds the dogs for the forward/reverse on the feed screw was broken. After way overpaying for an incompetent repair, I found a local machinist that did the job correctly. It has another problem with the half-nuts. They won't engage unless you back the friction screws on the carriage feed way off. I hardly ever need to cut threads, so I've never gotten around to diving in to this one. I assume I'd have to remove the apron to fix it.

As you can see, it's pretty ugly. Once I got it working, I just started using it. It's been really useful over the years. When I bought it, I had never even heard of a Hendey lathe. It just liked it because it looked plenty heavy duty. It came with a three jaw chuck and a square tool post, which I promptly crashed into the chuck. I've since acquired the aloris tool post in the picture, a better 3 jaw, and a really nice Cushman 4 jaw. I don't have a taper attachment. I'm running it on an RPC, but it's a undersized. It will start the 3 hp motor OK, but if I try to engage the spindle at too-high a speed, the phase converter drops out. Sometime when I get some time for another project, I'll get a 7.5 HP motor and build a new RPC.

I'm hoping hendyman will drop by with the original history on it. Also, I'm curious about to know what "cl.823 compound" means.

Thanks.
Jerry

20190613_142315.jpg20190613_142301.jpg20190613_142247.jpg20190613_142239.jpg20190613_142255.jpg

Great machine. Mine looks much worse than yours. Have an 18sp of about the same vintage. I wonder if that is Centerline is 1.823 from compound top surface??

jerholz:

Hendey lahte No. 34095, a 12 x 30, 12 speed, Geared Head model, was ordered on May 9, 1942 and was scheduled for completion during the
first week of December 1942. It was one of a large order of 52 identical lathes ordered by Remington Rand Incorporated, no city or state
was listed. All of the lathes were equipped with two speed motors with the following specifications: Frame284, 3HP, 900/1800RPM, 220Volts, 60Cycles, 3PH. Clutch Pulley speed was 600RPM-1200RPM. There are still some Patterns, Castings and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. All of the lathes in this order were equipped with Timken Roller Bearings. I have no idea what the C1.823 refers to, I thought that it might be a reference
to a spindle drawing until I saw the decimal point. With this motor arrangement, this is essentially a twenty-four speed lathe.

Hendeyman

Back