What's new
What's new

My new (to me) saw!

toag

Cast Iron
So i picked this up without the wife knowing (yet). always better to ask forgiveness than permission. And its not like shes going to send it to the scrap yard.

Anyways it is a Racine power hacksaw tha uses 24" blades. Red letters and no triangles on each side of the "racine" which isnt like most i've seen. cant find anything else on it yet. I have no idea of the age, but i am stoked to clean it up and have it cut.
Sorry for the phone pics but the boy hid the camera...
if i can manage to put pictures on...

Attachments

• racine 1.jpg
    racine 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 777
  • racine2.jpg
    racine2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 576
Great find. We had an identical machine in the shop where I worked for over 20 years. I came back for a visit a couple years after I retired to find all the "old" equipment like the saw, and AVEY drill press and a couple other dated pieces were gone. Apparently the younger generation had no idea why they would keep such "dated" equipment when there were newer shinnier models on the market.

The old tools came in handy especially when cutting of drilling inconnel or other hard alloys. You could put an 8" diameter chunk of inconnel and let it cut away for hours. I don't think the newer band saws can even go slow enough to trough the stuff without ruining a blade.

Well of course my teardown and clean up would reveal some problems. Here is the first. this is the arm that connects the saw bow to the reciprocating wheel. It seems (to me at least) that they had the machine running backwards, with the pull stroke engaging the teeth of the saw blade. since the iron is thin and having alot of force on the cutting stroke, it broke. I have a piece of steel on the mill to make a replacement, but what a bummerIMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

IMO steel is a far better choice for that component, very often they were cast for economy and speed of manufacture.

+1 on big hacksaws, load em up and leave em to get on with it.

Can you find a serial number anywhere? According to a parts list I have it should be on the left side of the table behind the rear vise jaw. Of course I can't find it there on mine.

I found the serial number i'll snap pics today, my hands were a bit grimy to grab the camera yesterday (the cabinet underneath the saw was full of just plain nasty :ack2: ). Mine must have been made on a friday, they stamp is "D517", with the "7" stamped over a "6".

Toag, Do you still have this saw? I have one just like it (I think). My Racine 1.jpgMy Racine 2.jpgMy Racine.jpg
Mine appears to be complete (except for the Screw clamp for the vice) I see that your saw has that piece on it still. (the part for tightening the vice) I can't seem to find one anywhere, Can you, or would you please remove yours from the machine and take some pictures of it. I am going to try to make one for mine. If any one has this piece and would be interested in selling it please let me know.

I just picked up one of these not long ago, but haven't had a chance to really look at it too much, it's not in my home shop. Trying to get it there though...:-)

Here are some pics of the part. i started a cad drawing of a machined replacement. I'll post when I get back to my computer on friday

20131231_094932.jpg
20131231_094911.jpg
20131231_094945.jpg

The 1st picture looked like a new blade installed correctly (teeth facing the right way to cut on the pull). Anyway nice find and good luck with finding blades. Please post a source if you find some.
We had that same saw where I used to work. It was a sawing SOB. We used to have some blocks to space stock out from the stationary jaw to spread the wear out on the blade when we sawed smaller stuff in it.

Nice find......they are wonderful machines. I use my Keller all the time, and yours is the steroids version of what I have.

I just missed a Racine 2 years ago.....1st caller got it.

The 1st picture looked like a new blade installed correctly (teeth facing the right way to cut on the pull). Anyway nice find and good luck with finding blades. Please post a source if you find some.
We had that same saw where I used to work. It was a sawing SOB. We used to have some blocks to space stock out from the stationary jaw to spread the wear out on the blade when we sawed smaller stuff in it.

Doesn't seem too hard to find blades........McMaster-Carr

Anyway nice find and good luck with finding blades. Please post a source if you find some.

I recently got this Racine:

rph-must-be-a-keeper.jpg

I found it first look that it wasn't that difficult to find blades, the seller told me he had got that Starrett blade at McMaster-Carr. Yep, they do have them, albeit not cheap, but those blades last quite a bit I was told. The one on my saw was only used for a few cuts and is sharp.

There are similar blades on ebay, which are imports. Mine has a Starrett 1410 on it.

I think this is what is on mine at McMaster-Carr.

McMaster-Carr

There are imports for about $10 on ebay as I recall, but what's the point?

Cheers,
Alan

Back