What's new
What's new

My new old shaper

LTM

Plastic
Guess I'll use this as my first post, I recently aquired a Hendey Crank Shaper.

Serial # 1683.

Can Hendeyman help identify my shaper?

Thank you,

LTM

LTM:

Hendey crank shaper #1683 was ordered on July 27, 1936, because of the way shapers
were sold, I can't give you a specific completion or shipping date. At the present time
I didn't have access to the original order forms, even with that information there is no
guarantee that the exact shipping date could be determined. It is a 12 inch high speed
model that was shipped as regular (meaning no additions or substitions from the stand-
ard catalog description). The original electrical equipment consisted of an Allen-Bradley
motor control and switch (#296490-A and #709) and a Westinghouse 2hp, 600rpm, 550
volt, 3 phase, 60 cycles, direct mounted motor. The original owner was the Corbin Cab-
inet Lock Division, American Hardware Corporation, New Britain, Connecticut.

Hendeyman

Thank you very much Mr. Hendey man, I'm going to take pictures now, you will love this old shop.

LTM

Thanx for the welcome

Some pictures of my new shaper

DSC09382.jpg

For the round side of life

This is right behind the shaper, might be able to purchase this also, but it's not for sale yet.

I haven't been this excited in a long time, thank you for your interest

DSC09377.jpg

LTM:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Before you move it, make certain that you have the
binder wrench. The lathe appears to be a pre-1923 model, post a serial number and I will see what I can find out about its history.

Hendeyman

Hendyman,

What does the binder wrench look like?

Where are the numbers on a Hendey lathe?

The Hendey's are both under power and fully functioning, I'm sure the owner has all the pieces somewhere I don't think anything has left this old shop.

Thank you,

LTM

LTM:

The serial number for the lathes will be between the two front bed ways at the right hand end of the bed. You may have to use a small wire brush and a solvent soaked rag
to be able to find and read the number. It should be a five digit number and will be about
two inches from the end of the bed.

As Calvin B has pointed out, the binder wrench is sitting on the tool shelf near the ram
and the down feed attachment. The reason I didn't see it was because I didn't scroll
far enough to the right to view the whole machine. Sorry if I got you needlessly worried.

Hendeyman

Calvin and Hendeyman,

Thank you for the wonderful input.

My shaper experience is limited to trade school in the late '70s. The shop still had several shapers at that time, Van Normans and Cincinnati's that were much bigger than my Hendey.

I really got along well with the shapers and made allot of squares and rectangles from round stock. I loved making flat surfaces with a lathe tool.

In the machining world outside of school shapers were considered obsolete by that time so I've had little experience with them since, but I've never forgotten about them.

When presented with the opportunity to purchase the shaper I jumped, it will make a nice addition to the owners corner of my shop, my apprentice calls it the museum and always asks before he uses anything in there.

Knowing the year of manufacture just floats my boat, thank you again for that Hendeyman.

I've really enjoyed my time here, great place.

LTM

Binder Wrench

LTM
Congradulations on a very nice find. It appears to have been well cared for 70+ year old shaper.
The attached picture explains Hendyman's concern.
Thanks
Al

Attachments

• Tool.jpg
    Tool.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 512
Alan,

Appreciate the help, I'll post pictures of the shaper in it's new digs, recent snow fall has changed my rigging plans.

Didn't somebody reproduce the pinion looking wrench ?

LTM

LTM:

Terry of Bellindustries and myself entered into a joint project to produce a very limited
run of the binder wrenches. if anyone is in need of one, please e-mail me and I will give
the price and shipping instructions. Since these were made from the original drawings,
they are identical to the wrenches that were supplied with the shapers when new. They
are stress relieved and black oxide coated.

Hendeyman

I am positive that Hendeyman can do a better job of telling the story, but basically Hendey tried these out on the early 12" to reduce forces caused by mass reversal at relatively high speeds on long stroke.

The result was not all they hoped.

I believe Hendeyman said they were replaced by the factory with iron rams.

This one was not.

John Oder

Back