What's new
What's new

My "New" Pratt & Whitney No. O floor model horizontal

spitfire_er

Aluminum
Just picked this thing up yesterday. still sitting on my trailer. I saw an ad listed a week ago for some random old tools. Glanced at it and thought it was a bunch of junk based on the bad photos. The guy refreshed his CL listing two days ago and I had a second look. On closer inspection of the photos, there appeared to be a horizontal milling machine in the one photo covered by a ton of Jerry Rigged overhead drive gear. Long story, contacted the guy, we struck a deal and I headed to go grab it. It functions, but I need to take it apart and give it a good cleaning and oiling. Being tucked in the corner, I slid it out and I didn't even bother to look for a name because I knew it was basically what I have been looking for for quite some time. We got it on the trailer and I looked for a name and there it was "Pratt & Whitney Co, Hartford Conn USA, No 0"

I haven't touched it yet, but I'm thinking I might rebuild the clunky upper drive system that was added at some time and of course clean and oil. It looks for the most part original minus maybe the V-belts.

I was wondering if anyone had any further info on it? I know it weights quite a bit more than I expected and it has to be 7-800+ lbs. quite a bit for something that stands a little over 4 foot tall. Eveything seems to work, so any further help would be appreciated. 20200714_163447.jpg20200714_163423.jpg20200714_163439.jpg20200714_163426.jpg20200714_163432.jpg

According to Cope's "American Milling Machine Builders" it was included in Pratt & Whitney's 1892 production. I haven't found any old pictures of it or ads for it.

Irby

After sitting on this machine for several months in my small shop I am contemplating selling it. I just don't have the space and I really need to clear some room for a more practical machine in my shop. Anyone have any idea of a price range for one of these?

I paid a seller about $1200 for a Brown & Sharpe "Universal Milling Machine" of the "early" pattern, i.e. no over-arm. Complete and in "as used but removed" condition to include some centers and a full set of gears (on the shelves inside the door.)

Brown & Sharpe Universals are considered a "landmark" milling machine for many reasons, not the least of which it brought universal mills into common use (Yes Rob L., universal did exist among many builders prior to 1862, but Brown & Sharpe brought it to uniformity and general acceptance as a "toolmakers" milling machine. And it also suited "their brand" of involute gear and twist drill milling cutters - which is where they REALLY made the money once they got accepted.)

Anyway, most makers after 1862 brought out their own "universal" milling machine in emulation and competition, even Pratt & Whitney, which they did in a "smaller" version first (which stands on the same four legs as their 6" shaper.) Only a little later did they come out with a direct competition to Brown & Sharpe's machine in size and application.

Another of these early Brown & Sharpe machines I saw in the mid-country, which listed for $150 - condition good (i.e. indoors and not rusted) but missing parts of the table drive. I turned it over to an acquaintance in the hobby. He snapped it up as he was looking for that "landmark" machine and either felt himself able to duplicate parts, or not concerned that it wasn't complete.

So perhaps I have "bracketed" these pattern of machines: possibly as low as $150 or as high as $1200.

If I were to put a "craigslist" number on this Pratt & Whitney myself, I might put it at $400. A complete Burke setup with a good assortment of cutters can run you up to $1K, but most are less complete, and even "plug & play," can sell for as little as $400 - and these not rusted. But less "landmark" certainly.

Scrap it would probably be worth $150 to $200. So maybe start at Craiggie $400 but be willing to dicker for "interested parties?"

And interested parties is perhaps the key. Perhaps rather than money value received, one gets satisfaction that what this machine represents is now more likely to survive, if it's into the right person's hands, and interests.

There is (or should be) a sense of commitment to "custodianship" here. Machines of this ilk are unique now. In fact ANY flat belt machine is a throwback to a previous age - they are only made now "custom" and for enthusiasts. Thus as an owner of this or any similar machine, one has to consider "it was still surviving until YOU arrived" - and it will only be replaced at extreme cost and interest. If indeed you have to end it at the scrapyard.

I have ended machines at the scrapyard. But that was back then when my interest in the machines was exceeded by my ability or knowledge or where-with-all to deal with them long term. Possibly before even the Internet which is the knowledge part. And I dealt with them in the best manner possible for me at the time. And in a couple of cases it was not pretty. And today with more where-with-all - and the Internet - I would do differently.

Learning all the time...

We do (or should) have a responsibility to our industrial heritage. Elsewhere I have opined that Americans are more or less "slaves to progress." Anything which is not fashionable or current, or "earns its keep" is somehow a luxury to keep around for Americans. And the usual consensus is that the past is a luxury we can't afford. Life is that competitive for Americans. The Brits have done a MUCH better job at their industrial archaeology and preservation. Not that like the Brits I advocate laws to make it happen - I don't. But we should be doing this because "those who forget the past...etc, etc.") And our own long term self-interest.

If everything goes to "progress" - what happens when you progress yourself into a "technical dead-end" and the underlying "field of action" changes? If all machines operate from grid-power, what happens if for some unforeseen accident, or intention the grid is NOT available? You're up sh*ts creek. And this said by a former power plant engineer whose life's work was devoted to keeping the grid up.

Anyway, this I think the big picture here. Your personal picture will no doubt be different.

The best of luck in any case.

Joe in NH

I won't scrap it. I've placed other vintage machines before that were antiquated, only to put them in line shaft shops, or specific era shops, when they didn't suit my needs anymore.

I only have 500 sq ft of main shop space to run a business out of. While I may have to find storage space for it, I cannot afford the luxury at this time of having a a machine take up space in my business when literally every sqaure inch counts and that extra sqaure footage could have a machine that helps me make more money.

I've also restored several machines and don't always restore every machine. Each one is different. Not sure how it is no longer a "survivor" as soon as i took possession of it. Most of my machines are original, well maintained machines. While this one would look cool restored, it's still in almost the same condition today as it was over 120 years ago.

Back