What's new
What's new

Myers Lathe - newbie question

Jmdowdy

Plastic
I'm a long-time lurker in these forums and have been fascinated with turning and machining videos for many years. I recently acquired a Myers brand lathe (10" I believe) and have a few questions. I've included a few photos, but I have plenty more and can upload as needed.

1. I'm trying to determine a possible build year or year range.
2. The apron appears to be missing the power feed selector to move between cross feed and longitudinal feed. As well, it appears that there are at least two items (gears I presume) missing - one that would engage with the worm gear from the keyed lead screw, and another gear that moves in/out to engage/disengage the cross feed drive gear.
3. Lastly, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to remove the eccentric hub and back gear. I've tapped out a keeper pin on the outside end (gear end), but still can't remove the eccentric hub. I need to remove it completely and repair a crack in the casting on the outboard end.

I've read that user jhruska is the expert on Myers lathes and I'm hoping that this message reaches him or her and would be able to provide any insight or advice. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Apron_Back.jpg
    Apron_Back.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 121
  • TailStock.jpg
    TailStock.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 123
  • HeadStock.jpg
    HeadStock.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Apron_Front.jpg
    Apron_Front.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 101
Here you go:)
The lathe will swing 11&1/4" over the ways.
Time period is probably 1916-1918.
The friction clutch on the apron is only for carriage feed.
Cross feed is managed by pinion engagement with two spur gears. Push in-pull out.
The attached photos show a spur gear coupled with a worm gear (wheel) that is engaged with the worm.
The spur gears for the cross feed are 14 pitch and 1/2" wide.
The spur gear that engages with the top slide pinion had two different
numbers of teeth depending on the year of manufacture. No bed or serial numbers on the lathes :(
It's 2:30 am here so more details later:sleepy:
Apron Crossfeed.JPGApron guts.jpgApron front view.jpgCrossfeed Selector.jpgMEYERS6.jpg
John

Thank you so much! This is great information. In the future I may see about remaking the missing power crossfeed parts, but for now I'm happy with only the longitudinal power feed.

I will be making some spares .... maybe next summer.

Myers Machine Tool sold quite a lot of goods to England during WWI.
Might be how your lathe got across the pond.

Jhruska, do you happen to have any spare parts for these Myers lathes? Looking to replace the compound slide as the T slot is badly damaged. See attached photo.IMG_0958.jpgOther than replacement, is there any hope for repair?

Id say your best bet is to tidy up the broken part ,and make a new T slot from steel and fix it to the casting with a number of countersunk socket screws.....Alternatively ,dispense with the sliding arrangement and mount the toolpost to one location .Lotsa lathes the toolpost cant be slid sideways ,and dont suffer from the lack of it.

any spare parts for these Myers lathes?
View attachment 311081any hope for repair?

I have complete lathes but no spares, :(
That can be repaired as john.k suggested.
Mill off the top end and replace with inverted "L" replacement parts.

Not a fan of the lantern tool post and resetting the tool height every tool change.
That lathe should run with positive ground HSS cutting tools.
I like a tool post with the slot located to place the tool on spindle center line, or
shimmed as needed. The larger tool post in the photo has a bottom plate as long as the tool post is wide.
The clamping force is spread over a greater surface area.
Tool Post.jpg

Example of a repaired slot.
Slot Repair.jpg

Repaired compound of a 10" Myers 1920-1925
Repaired Compound.jpg
John

Last edited:
Thanks you once again for your insight and included photos. Much appreciated. Looks like a need to find a local hobbyist with a milling machine and some free time to repair this T Slot

Back