What's new
What's new

Mystery bench center type tool

putteritis

Plastic
Looking for some help in identifying this item(s). Similar to a bench center but has a stud on the bottom and indexing head. When I purchased this it came with a second 'head' that has a worm drive and 360 degrees of marking on the gear that mates to the worm. While this second head will mount to the same bed as the index head it is nearly an inch taller and slightly offset so it does not align with the fixed center. The only markings on these items is 'S551' on the bed piece and 'PT4834S1' on the second head piece. Any help with what this item is actually called, who made it, where it is used, etc would be truly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20201220_181249.jpg
    20201220_181249.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 20201220_181341.jpg
    20201220_181341.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 226
I recon the top one is off a tool and cutter grinder, ..........while the lower has a ''European look'' to it, ............possibly off one of the smaller Deckel type milling machines.

It is very similar to an indexing centers for a South Bend Shaper, but a little different. There is another brand of small shaper that uses the central single bolt to hold the vice like the SB. I just can't think of it now.

The upper piece is an index center set for an AMMCo 7" shaper. Not sure about the lower head.
4693d2f400ed701030ff83ca4012f3ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Would you happen to know where more info could be found for this. I have tried searching this and other websites without luck. Not even sure exactly what to call it. Thanks again.

good score

ammco index.jpgammco index b.jpg

this is my indexer set up on my Ammco shaper, at one time the indexer was worth more than the shaper itself.
My shaper didn't have a vice but it did have the indexer it was easer to find a vice than the indexer.
and i ended up with both
like to find a rotary table someday too
be nice to find a South Bend indexer for my other shaper.
now you have to find a shaper to put under it.....

Thank you for the photos and the information. I would love to have a shaper but I have run out of room for my toys. If I buy anything large these days something else has to go. However, I do enjoy buying stuff like this when I find it, cleaning it up and selling it to someone who can use it. This one needed considerable cleanup but is in reasonable condition. What do you think is a reasonable asking price for it? Thanks again.

Back