What's new
What's new

Mystery compound slide , identification please

Billtodd

Titanium
This is small model or watch makers lathe compound slide , approximately 8" in length and width.

Notable features:

One of the 50 thou" per turn dials has doubled marking to show diameter. This is currently fitted to the top-slide handle but i suspect it has been swapped with the cross-slide to improve readability.

The top-slide angle graduations have a 5 minute vernier fiducial marker and yet , the base is plain with just a T slot and no register.

I suspect the tool post holder was originally a T slot and has been 'repaired' by screwing plates to each side (the screw holes don't look straight to my eye so unlikely to be original)

It looks to be of high quality manufacture before some moron hit it with a saw!

Anyone recognise the maker?

Attachments

• bottom of top-slide.jpg
    bottom of top-slide.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 115
  • T-slot on base.jpg
    T-slot on base.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 130
  • compound slide.jpg
    compound slide.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 123
  • top-slide angle vernier.jpg
    top-slide angle vernier.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 112
  • top-slide (diameter) dial.jpg
    top-slide (diameter) dial.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 100
Looks like an early beat up and modified Pratt & Whitney Cross slide for a #3 precision bench lathe...

I once bought a Hardinge Cataract 37 lathe that turned out to have a rusty, but complete Pratt & Whitney slide rest included. I sold the slide rest, but here are pictures of it. It certainly looks like the one in the first two posts.

Larry

DSC00203.jpg DSC00205.jpg DSC00206.jpg DSC00207.jpg DSC00212.jpg

Concur, pratt whitney. The screw-on vernier angle scale is a tip-off. Also agree, very early
version as the later ones have a housing on each lead screw for ball bearing pairs.

Back