What's new
What's new

Mystery Drilling Machine

Mark N

Plastic
I purchased this seven arbor hand drilling machine as part of a lot of tools and would like to identify what it was used for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 298
I really have no idea but the first thing that comes to mind is cabinet production - a way to drill holes for wooden dowels to fit cabinets/furniture together.

FWIW

-Ron

Uhm…."To drill qty (7) holes at one time".....duh

Seriously,

Think gas burner pipe, does the spacing look like that ?

Last edited:
The bottom has a clamping feature that looks like it would clamp a flat board or something flat. The drill spacing is fixed. It's very cool and all gears are free I just have no idea what it's for.

For drilling wire holes in wooden fence posts?

There is a thread here:
Cutting a coarse left hand thread.
which describes a completely different fence post boring machine dating from WW1 period, but the spacing of the drills (actually augers in this case) appears to be similar. The machine was restored by a forum member. It has a very ingenious quick return mechanism, using a fine right hand thread on the feed screw for drilling, and a coarse left hand thread on the same screw for the drill withdrawal.

Unfortunately I don't think you can see the many photos without joining the forum. The descriptions become much clearer when you can see the photos!

franco

The machine Franco linked to is my project and I must say that Marks machine is the nearest to my concept that I've ever seen. But I'm not sure it's for boring fence posts because it doesn't look like there is clearance at either end for the post to extend past the uprights. I've attached two photos of my replica, but don't want to hijack this thread because I'm very keen to see the result of Marks enquiries.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Stevenson multi bore 011.jpg
    Stevenson multi bore 011.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Stevenson multi bore 013.jpg
    Stevenson multi bore 013.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 91

Back