What's new
What's new

Mystery steady rest.

dundeeshopnut

Hot Rolled
Anyone here recognize this rest?002.jpg003.jpg No markings anywhere that I've found and it appears to hace been for a 14" but has been cut down to fit a 12. Since my chances of finding a Hendey rest to fit my 1903 are slim to none, I scored this one at a VERY attractive price and am going to tweak it to fit.

Wow, 280 people have viewed this thread and still no score. Oh well, it doesn't really matter anyways at it's present address, more of a trivia question anyways.:)

Just beginning the quest to find steady and follow rests for the 14x6 - glad to see the road is well worn

Anyone here recognize this rest?View attachment 293579View attachment 293580 No markings anywhere that I've found and it appears to hace been for a 14" but has been cut down to fit a 12. Since my chances of finding a Hendey rest to fit my 1903 are slim to none, I scored this one at a VERY attractive price and am going to tweak it to fit.

I've managed to find a couple that look like they would fit my 14x6 - they are asking a couple hundred and change each....trying to figure out if thats a decent price since thats 1/3 what I paid for the lathe :) However I've been warned repeatedly the equipment isn't where you'll spend most of your money its the tooling....any comments though if old hendey steady rests are worth the asking price? I'm looking to build a good functional setup - not necessarily be rigidly period correct.

Couple of hundred...with the lathe thrown in ,maybe.....I has a big collection of 2 point,3 point,gaps etc,never ever matched anything people wanted ,scrapped them finally .......as mentioned ,a smaller rest is easily fitted a bigger lathe.....and provided the rest is securely clamped,a piece of hardwood is an adequate spacer to match the lathe bed..........back in the day ,it was common to fabricate a steady for a large diameter job.....no great accuracy is needed.

I've managed to find a couple that look like they would fit my 14x6 - they are asking a couple hundred and change each....trying to figure out if thats a decent price since thats 1/3 what I paid for the lathe :) However I've been warned repeatedly the equipment isn't where you'll spend most of your money its the tooling....any comments though if old hendey steady rests are worth the asking price? I'm looking to build a good functional setup - not necessarily be rigidly period correct.

I gave a 85 clams shipped for the one pictured. The "mystery steadies" can be had for cheap compared to the "brand name" ones, and since I have to hack on it anyways, I figure am not destroying a high value sought after piece.

Shopnut.....how I wish you had visited my establishment.....I would have sold you a truckload of steadies .....and retired rich....rich I tells ya!.

I have always wanted to visit your country! Maybe someday if we ever get rid of this virus, and I sell the cows.:scratchchin:

This one sent me an offer for a reduced price over the current asking price on the listing - just add it to your Watch list and wait a bit. Still over priced but I think they offered to knock 50 to 75 off and it does look similar to the old hendey Steady Rests
steadyrest.jpg
LATHE STEADY REST HENDEY MONARCH | eBay

Steady Rest on the way

I wound up getting this one before I saw the other one I posted the link to earlier. Its going to definitely need some refurb but should work well enough for me for a while
MySteadyRest.jpg

I wound up getting this one before I saw the other one I posted the link to earlier. Its going to definitely need some refurb but should work well enough for me for a while
View attachment 321288

Looks like a steady for Pratt&Whitney
Check out this youtube video, I've never seen as many steady rest in one place! Information is given to contact the place. Simply put tons of steady rests!
Missing finger steady is backwards, Opening is on the V side, most lathes have the opening on the flat side with the V in the rear.

Well I'm not at a point that I have to worry about it too much yet but my steady rest has the following issues:
- The locking mechanism just barely touches both sides of the bed...not really enough to clamp and call it "steady" :)
- As is the 3 fingers come together about 1/4 to 1/2" too High when I place it right in front of the spindle. There isn't a ton of meat on that foot so I'm thinking I might put it up for sale and get a cheapish one that I can just make my own base for. Ah well...live and learn

Back