What's new
What's new

Neat little divider/trammell thingy

old-biker-uk

Cast Iron
Found this pretty little thing in a box of junk at a sale.
No maker's mark but very well made, collet slides along the bar and there is about 1/8" adjustment at the bow spring end.
Mark

Attachments

• P1210604.jpg
    P1210604.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 543
old Biker,

Hey, that is neat!

My first thought would have been to clean it with electrolysis, but when you mentioned that the end is a spring, that pretty much precluded the use of electrolysis. Springs tend to get very brittle in "the tank."

There may yet be faint markings on it somewhere.

It's totally appropriate that the photo of this U.K. artifact includes a Rabone scale.

Last edited:
Very cool! Almost looks factory made, I wonder if it might of been made by Eclipse? I think they made some pretty short runs of really cool looking tools.

Are you going to make a copy of it?

snip...Are you going to make a copy of it?
Maybe:scratchchin: .....
Have been woodworking lately and the metalwork has taken a back seat, but I still have that picture of the Humpage micrometer staring at me from the workshop pin board....
Re cleaning, as an ex museum conservator I have seen too much old stuff ruined by over-cleaning so I think I might just wave an oily rag at it.......

Mark

That is neat! Looks to be very well thought out, the points seem to be held in a sort of collet (replaceable), and the curved "spring" looks to be pinned on the left with an adjustment thumbscrew on the right.

I like seeing tools like this. They were simple and useful, but also looked "finished". Too many things today carved out enough to be usable, but never finished.

Kevin

Is the pointed item made of metal or a pencil lead? It occurred to me that you could use this with a lead in either collet but one would be an unusual use of it.

Both 'ends' have collets, the pointy bit is steel, about the size of an old gramophone needle! (just needed a touch on a fine oil stone). The other would take about 1/8" so could be used as compass with pencil or dividers with another point bit.
Mark

Is there a point missing from the center shaft or whatever you call it?

Bill
Typically, the center could be fitted from a set consisting of divider points and cones of different sizes or sometimes various size hemispheres to locate off holes. My big Starrett set even has caliper points, a pencil lead/steel scribe holder and a draftsman's ink pen.

Here are two Starrett steel trammels.

Larry

DSC01123.jpgDSC01125.jpgDSC01128_300.jpg DSC01129.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures Larry, I should make the extra bits and a nice mahogany box for it.
Mark

Mark -

Be sure to make the ink pen attachment - never know when one will need to prepare an inked drawing on linen! In high school drafting class (1965) we had to ink one drawing - and that was enough to convince me that doing inked drawings was not for me.

Dale

old Biker,

Hey, that is neat!

My first thought would have been to clean it with electrolysis, but when you mentioned that the end is a spring, that pretty much precluded the use of electrolysis. Springs tend to get very brittle in "the tank."

There may yet be faint markings on it somewhere.

It's totally appropriate that the photo of this U.K. artifact includes a Rabone scale.

I would clean it by hand using some steel wool and WD-40.

Maybe that's just because im not on the electrolysis bandwagon?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I've had great luck with ultrasonic cleaners filled with "Branson Metal Cleaner #3" It will loosen the surface rust creeps in to tight spots and helps loosen them up but not harm springs etc.

Don't know how he got it down the chimney but Father Christmas brought me an Ultrasonic cleaner.
A minute or so in warm dilute soap solution seems to remove loose corrosion but leaves a decent patina.
Not severe stripping like electrolysis.
Experimentation needed.
Mark

Back