What's new
What's new

Norton cylindrical grinder

It grinds cylinders - really (I'm not being snarky.) Also relatively long round objects that taper - for examp morris taper or cat-40 tapers. Used grinding journals on shafts (the bit where bearings go) Unclear if that one has any ID grinding ability.

Unclear if that one has any ID grinding ability.

I think it does, it looks like it has a dedicated ID spindle on the backside of the grinding head, but it's unusual (to me) as the entire grinding "turret" has to be rotated 180 degrees to bring it into play.

It's an interesting older machine, raised up with spacers for larger capacity, but what I'm most intrigued by is the second pic in the ad, which seems to be unrelated to the grinder. Some parts looks like inserted line boring tools or the like, but I have no idea what the various long "form things" are.

I think the items mounted on the wall in the second picture are honing mandrels, probably for a Sunnen. The mechanism on the tailstock intrigues me, looks like a collet closer.

Value? Pretty much negative these days. And plan on heavy. My 9 x 24 Cincinnati weighs 6,000, and that one looks bigger before the lift kit.

Its a Universal - meaning the work head (and on some, even the wheel slide) swivels

B&S liked to write about such things early on

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2185/3871.pdf

You have to scroll down to PDF page 8 to see anything:D

On the photos...he raised the work head and tail stock - wonder if he bothered to raise the wheel slide?

It appears to be a WW2 14"

Last edited:
Its a Universal - meaning the work head (and on some, even the wheel slide) swivels

B&S liked to write about such things early on

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2185/3871.pdf

You have to scroll down to PDF page 8 o see anything:D

On the photos...he raised the work head and tail stock - wonder if he bothered to raise the wheel slide?

It appears to be a WW2 14"

I think I can see a similar spacer to the ones under the headstock and talstock under the wheelhead.

The gizmo on the tailstock is probably the lever for a spring loaded quick release device that enables you to retract the tailstock centre quickly when you're doing volume work. " Churchill " universal grinders had them.

Regards Tyrone.

It's an interesting older machine, raised up with spacers for larger capacity, but what I'm most intrigued by is the second pic in the ad, which seems to be unrelated to the grinder. Some parts looks like inserted line boring tools or the like, but I have no idea what the various long "form things" are.

Those are Sunnen hone mandrels, they might be included with machine, but don't go with it. If you have room, and a need, a cylindrical grinder is a neat machine to have, they used to sell for big $$, but in recent years go pretty cheap. Better get one before the YT machinists do some vids and make them popular again:D

The lever on the footstock is a pretty standard Norton grinder feature. The quill is spring loaded and the lever retracts the quill for loading a part. Pulling the lever toward you all the way takes the linkage to the quill over center and holds the quill in the fully retracted position. You still have to lock and unlock the quill clamp manually.

Scan of wheel head guts - WW2 era brochure. Fairly sure this is the Plain, not Universal

Attachments

• Norton Wheel Head.jpg
    Norton Wheel Head.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
Those are Sunnen hone mandrels, they might be included with machine, but don't go with it. If you have room, and a need, a cylindrical grinder is a neat machine to have, they used to sell for big $$, but in recent years go pretty cheap. Better get one before the YT machinists do some vids and make them popular again:D

Smaller, nice ones go for top dollar, but older big ones that aren't pristine are hard to sell at any price. Last year I bought a late model Korean built ID/OD 10x20 for $1800 at auction. It was missing the tailstock, but came with a truckload of tooling. The same one next to it with a tailstock, but no other tooling sold for $11,000. When I picked it up I found the tailstock for mine in the toolcrib with the grinding wheels.

Smaller, nice ones go for top dollar, but older big ones that aren't pristine are hard to sell at any price. Last year I bought a late model Korean built ID/OD 10x20 for $1800 at auction. It was missing the tailstock, but came with a truckload of tooling. The same one next to it with a tailstock, but no other tooling sold for $11,000. When I picked it up I found the tailstock for mine in the toolcrib with the grinding wheels.

Depends on timing and location I guess, I picked up a nice little Landis a couple years ago right here on PM, it was a common scenario of its going to scrap because room was needed for a new cnc please come get it. Very nice clean machine, receipt was still in manual from purchase 10? years earlier, I hope they made $ with it, because they lost selling it.

High precision OD grinder that has a table that is universal so able to run taper parts between centers or out of a work head. looks like it having perhaps 4 inch riser blocks so able to do larger diameter work.
In good shape a world class machine along the class of Brown and Sharpe and other world class machines.
Yes it has to be in good shape to be that.

i bought clean looking machines that when the covers are lifted,had balls of cast iron powder rolling in the lube pockets.Ive also had grinders that had $200,000 rebuilds,scrapped......the first insert that could cut hard steel was a nail in the coffin,along with distortion free vacuum hardening,and finally the EPA going to town on hardchrome.......If you can find a really long bed /7ft plus centres,they convert into a small lathe bed grinder of some usefulness.

In good shape a world class machine along the class of Brown and Sharpe and other world class machines.
Normally I would not argue with you about grinding ! but in this case .... I have several hours in on one just like this, except without the risers. They are not fun to operate.

I'd choose Landis, Cincinnati, Brown & Sharpe, even a new SMTW over this Norton. You can do good work with it but it's not enjoyable.

Back