What's new
What's new

Need help! Identification, worth of these machines?

Okay so I just created a profile to get some help.

I been in need of a trailer to haul cars and equipment, but I also have been interested in getting into some machining and lathe work. I came across this deal (I'll try to post link). It's a Heavy duty pintle hitch equipment trailer 3 axle needs tires from sitting has a machine shop do-all saw and a vertical horizontal milling machine and a large heavy duty lathe. That's all the info from the ad. The trailer is worth $1,000 to me by itself so what and how much work would I be looking at into getting these machines functional? Also what is the value of all 3 machines? I know the one is a Do-All, vert/horz mill is a Fray, no clue about the lathe or the model/years etc.

I should** be able to get this all for $2,500 to $3,000. Hopefully someone responds soon, this is my first time on one of these forms:toetap:

I'm only 23 and I know my generation sucks at giving older more experienced men and women the respect they deserve so any input, knowledge, or advice is greatly appreciated!

Here's the facebook ad: Facebook Marketplace: Equipment trailer for sale - Tools - Midland, North Carolina

Thanks, Kevin S.

Also I have come across a Jhead bridgeport (just the machine) for 2,500 but really needing and wanting that trailer:D

Attachments

• AAAAAA.jpg
    AAAAAA.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 395
  • AAAAA.jpg
    AAAAA.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 396
  • AAAA.jpg
    AAAA.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 396
  • AAA.jpg
    AAA.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 393
  • AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 345
What exactly is the machine in pix #3-4 ?

Attachments

• 10-TIPS-FOR-DUMPSTER-DIVING-SUCCESS-776x415.jpg
    10-TIPS-FOR-DUMPSTER-DIVING-SUCCESS-776x415.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 96
DoAll band saw might be worth bringing back to life - its a three speed with hydraulic table - rusted up. Lots of work before it ever makes one chip

The rest looks like the usual cast off rusted up junk iron. You probably don't need a project and you sure don't need three such

Take the same money and buy something RUNNING

Last edited:
This was my thinking honestly but I wanted/needed an outside opinion. I may try talking him down since I have nothing to loose because I'd like to have the trailer:D

You don't say what sort of equipment you want to haul but you don't need a trailer like that for cars. And the machine tools on it need a LOT of cleaning and attention to MAYBE be OK. I would say no more than $2500 to $3000 and that only if you want a project bringing back those machines. The trailer too needs a bit of money and work to be useful if it needs 6 tires and a deck. Maybe $3000 is too much.

This was my thinking honestly but I wanted/needed an outside opinion. I may try talking him down since I have nothing to loose because I'd like to have the trailer:D

"Free" is still not low enough.

You have to repair the trailer in place to remove them.

Show a pix of the trailer tires/rims please.

That Fray may be worth fixing up. It is a rather unique machine that could come in handy.

Fray Milling Machines

To answer your question, machines like this are worth their weight as scrap iron. Even when running.

But you will have a wonderful education if you decide to clean them up and get them running.

It's a trailer full of maybe 4000 lbs of junk. Maybe they should pay you to haul it off?

This is a great hobby that yields some useful skills. However, you will regret these machines. You will need working versions of each to fix them most likely. If they were free I might consider the extensive effort required to move them into a shop but for what you will put into them to get them working, you could have bought something turnkey.

How are you going to move the trailer if it needs new tires, while it has three heavy machines on it?

Hydraulic jacks do wonders, might take a couple 20 tonners per side, but its doable. That trailer was made to be pulled behind a dump truck or other large type truck, if you have a 1 ton truck you might be able to use it. Pretty sure the triple axle set puts you into cdl category (it does in Tx).

I know you want the trailer but not win the lottery. Those machines were top class before the blue tarp "mirage" of protecting machinery. Someone might give their left nut for that Do All. Super saw and has the welder. The Fray "all angle" mill looks so much heavier than the older ones. It probably is the last model they made. Now we know the lathe is a Bradford Metal Master. Again, really good stuff but mother rust...

Kevin,
First of all, I like the way you have approached this crowd.
Don't take too negatively the replies. Most of us have fallen in the same or similar rabbit holes.

We don't know much of your background, experience and actual needs for trailers etc. On the top of what Dalmatiangirl61 has said, consider that three axles means shelling much more at each toll booth and much more stress and wear on the suspensions and wheel bearings if you have to maneuver a lot.

As for the machines, it all depends. One thing I envy in several youngsters is the amount of energy and perseverance in projects that we would be more keen to abandon as not worth our energies.

If you have access locally to somebody who has a machine shop, some experience, and is willing to help you in the fixing of the machines, fixing them to operational status could be a very valuable learning experience and you gain useful machining capabilities.
It's hard to know from the pictures how far gone they are. But, both for the machines and the trailer, be rather thorough in your inspection, looking for corrosion. Cast iron doesn't generally get any deep pit. but steel can easily rust away. If leadscrews and gears are significantly rusted (e.g. rust flaking away, teeth or edges of the crests of the threads rounded, etc.), consider them a complete loss.
Corrosion should be monitored even more on that heavy duty trailer.

Good luck!

Paolo

I just moved from Mint Hill 2 months ago. If you would have posted this up then I could have gone and put eyes on the stuff with you.

That's a lot of metal on the trailer, someone estimated 4K lbs, I'd up that (the DoAll is around a ton on its own). If you've not had experience dealing with such heavy things on a trailer I'd suggest finding a mentor to come with you to review the feasibility of jacking and swapping good tires onto it while loaded.

At least it looks like the hut has a concrete pad, but even still you have to be extremely careful not to over stress the trailer frame during jacking, or have things get unstable. One tipped machine is enough to ruin your whole day (or end it).

As to worth, I think it's pretty close to scrap metal pricing, more than a grand total is too much. You don't know if the frame is safe (rust showing at the frame welds), condition of the axle bearings (having one fail on the road sucks, not just for you but others behind you), and you'd have to have proper chains and straps to secure the load correctly.

If you're crazy ambitious and good with sticking to task, then those machines look just on the edge of being worth recovery, they're not totally rusted to crap yet. But just the lathe and bandsaw are really desirable, the mill is a crapshoot on tooling and ease of use (a Bridgeport is likely a better choice).

But most important, be safe - it's easy to get over your head with this stuff, from moving/towing/rigging to repair. Don't get yourself or others hurt.

Buy it for what it all weighs, then you don't lose much but time. I'd say there is 5-6k of machines on there. Not sure that I'd get too excited over the trailer............can't see it well enough........what I see, doesn't impress too much.

Back