What's new
What's new

Need help to identify my lathe

Maybe it is English. They like the carriage feed wheel on the right side of the apron. And it will cut 12 threads per inch, but not 13. In the USA, very common 1/2 inch UNC threads are 13 TPI, but 1/2 inch Whitworth threads are 12 TPI.

Look at some of the nuts and bolts to see if they are metric or English (BSW or BSF).

In 1969, I bought a new Volvo 164 car and was surprised to see it had mostly American UNC threads on the fasteners in the Swedish parts, but the German-made components (brakes and steering) had metric fasteners. Don't know about old Swedish machine tools.

Larry

Interesting gap bed with threaded spindle, seems like kinda of a odd combination. Also looks like it may have a clutch & brake going by the one lever lower right on head stock.

The lathe is still at the shop but i have sent an email to the guy running lathes.co.uk. It would be nice to know what make and model it is.

Maybe if you try a Google Image Search on Google.se for Something like Old Lathe made in Sweden but in Swedish, something that looks close may turn up.
I tried this search
Old Lathe Made in Sweden - Google Search
One like yours didn’t turn up there but you can see there were several makers of lathe in Sweden that may not have been seen very often on the other side of the Atlantic although I know there were some imported into Canada at one time.
You may get much different results if you try on Google.se or try similar searches for old lathes made in other countries close to you and see what turns up.
Depending on your location and search history your results may display quite differently than if I or someone else tried the same search.
Regards,
Jim

Back