What's new
What's new

Need help to identify planer

scrap maker

Plastic
SO I am going to buy this planer only has the bed table and uprights but I want a Project. The vee ways extend past the bed casting it has a dual rack and that's it the photos are crap because if I took any other pictures you would just see the stuff piled on it.

Cant tell much from the pictures but I would guess even earlier judging by the not so robust looking legs... would love to see more pictures!

Those legs would be the so called "Golden Calf" pattern - which was en-vogue until about 1860 or so.

The uprights look early too - consistent with a pre-1860 production. Putting this later would take examination of the tops of these to see if a "bridge" existed (early = no bolt attachments for a bridge) or very simple bolting. Different age styles can also be put to the attachment of the cross slide and how it runs up and down and is restrained by the uprights. Roberts chain drive planer below (English)

Im1904EnV97-p606.jpg

Joe in NH

Joe-I see a lot of slack in that chain....”somebody” oughta take it in a link or two.

Seems like a sloppy thing to have in promotional material-maybe there is a good reason for the slack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe-I see a lot of slack in that chain....”somebody” oughta take it in a link or two.

Seems like a sloppy thing to have in promotional material-maybe there is a good reason for the slack?

Another pix from the same online source, but seemingly taken perhaps "later" after the Roberts planer made its hands into professional "conservators" - who might (but might not) get closer to its actual setup.

JD_RLH3.jpg

I agree, this would be more "as seen/used."

Joe in NH

Scrap maker,

Are you still the same 12-year-old who gets upset by being yelled at by your parents? And got 81% in your creative writing course? And can only buy dinged up tools and the only money you make is from plowing driveways and for Christmas and your birthday?

O/T problems

And has a a 1941 Hardinge tr 59 with a rear mount tee slot and mounting holes for thread chasing attachments...

This manual Hardinge turret lathe sold for more than $14,000

And now you're planning to buy a planer and "will get more once I buy in in a few months but that place is loaded with old iron there is a 10 ft b and s straight edge there too". I guess you'll have to wait until after your birthday to have enough money, if your parents haven't still grounded you by then because of your poor results.

Your technical knowledge and language are truly remarkable for a timid 12 year old. I guess you must eat a lot of fish; they say it's good for the brain. There's certainly a strong smell of it.

George B.

Thanks Joe, my comment was tounge in cheek but the farmer in me can’t ignore slack chains.

Also considered that slack on loose side was necessary to wrap pinion enough to prevent slipping. Chain appears to route differently in second picture.

Can’t quite make it out, and more off topic than on I suppose.

Georgineer what’s your point

Taken as a whole, there is something fishy about your posts. This is an idiom - look it up if you don't understand it.

I don't believe you are actually a whining twelve-year-old with overbearing parents but an adult with many years' machining experience, though you may still have overbearing parents.

In which case I'll turn the question back and ask - what's your point?

George B.

I will get more once I buy in in a few months but that place is loaded with old iron there is a 10 ft b and s straight edge there too

As Joe has said, based on the small pictures, this could be a planer from the 1850's to 1860's.
My advice is not to wait for a "few months". If there is that much old iron there I would be there right away digging around.
Since you found the columns, the other parts might just be there.
It would be nice if your pictures were larger.

Rob

Taken as a whole, there is something fishy about your posts. This is an idiom - look it up if you don't understand it.

I don't believe you are actually a whining twelve-year-old with overbearing parents but an adult with many years' machining experience, though you may still have overbearing parents.

In which case I'll turn the question back and ask - what's your point?

George B.

Whoa... ease up there, hoss...

A 12 year old that is already interested in machines and machining should be encouraged... not discouraged. No reason to pick on them because of their age...

-Bear

I think I have met Scrap Maker, given that there aren't too many very sharp young boys with a deep knowledge of machining and old machines that would surprise most of us.
Two twin brothers from Pennsylvania visited Tuckahoe at the mini show we had last October. They were very interested in our Machine Shop Museum. They are restoring an old wood lathe and they needed to have the bed planed before rescraping it. We agreed that we could do and, finally, they were back a couple of weeks ago. They brought the bed and all the measuring tools necessary for the setup.

Thanks to their help, setting up the bed on our 6' Rockford went rather fast and, by 3 p.m. we were all done. Too bad that they had to leave early and there was not much time for anything else.

It has been a real pleasure and an honor working with these two young men and I wish they will be back to visit us, maybe with another of their projects.

A big tip of the hat also to their parents who let them develop this passion and are enabling them.

Paolo

Robert I can not buy it right now because I have no space trust me no space I can not use my lathe without moving the bikes and some other stuff but I will try to make some money then try to buy it there will be space when we get a shop built.

Back